Best hardware for a private n and public g network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers
NickCatal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 16:01    Post subject: Best hardware for a private n and public g network Reply with quote
Alright, I currently have a WRT54GS with the latest standard DD-WRT firmware... it is great, but it is lacking one thing: Speed.

I am getting a 20mbps connection into my new apartment, and based on the design I am going to need to have my main computer on one side of the room and the cable modem (and tivo, and media player, and probably PS2/XBOX360 sometime soon) on the other... Not only that, I need to be able to stream HD content to the media player (or at least load it into the media player's HDD)

So that means I basically have to go to an N setup.

So here is my problem: I want to be able to secure the N setup without losing speed between the router and the computer (or at least not enough speed to send the rate below 60-70mbps) AND I want to offer a hotspot to my neighbors using my WRT54GS device.

This will not be point to point as I also have a newer MacBook Pro which I also want to be able to access the 20mbps cable speed

I am thinking of having the n router setup with a hidden SSID, 'only these mac addresses' and WEP and then connecting the 54GS's WAN port to the n router...
then changing the settings on the n router to give priority to the items on the n network.

But I also want to be able to do some sort of traffic shaping when it comes to P2P traffic on the n network (so if I setup BT it doesn't ruin all of my other connections)

So what hardware do I choose for the n router? How should I set it up with the g network?
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: