Looking for a router suggestion (requirements listed below)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers
divi2323
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 16:12    Post subject: Looking for a router suggestion (requirements listed below) Reply with quote
My router at home finally died. (Very old trendnet router not supported by dd-wrt)

I'm looking for a wireless N router that has the following capabilities. It MUST be able to load dd-wrt's latest version. I know most of the features below are provided in the firmware, but i'm listing them to make sure that when dd-wrt is loaded they are stable in their function on this particular router.

1) Wireless N capability for faster wireless clients, Wireless G capability for backward compatibility.
2) Ability to load dd-wrt and be stable for all functions
3) QoS either at the hardware level, or supported through dd-wrt and is stable. This is very important with two teenagers in the house with bittorrents and 2 skype phones.
4) DDNS support
5) easily managed port forwarding.
6) no telnet connection drops. I use telnet and ssh ALOT and my last router disconnected my sessions after 3 minutes of activity with no way to configure it.
7) wireless network should be stable and support wpa2-aes and wpa2-tkip
Cool cost should be under $100. Though I know most wireless N routers new are over $100, i'd like to keep this on a budget.
9) Also it should have a minimum of 4x 10/100 ethernet ports, if not a gigabit port to plug into my current gigabit switch.

Suggestions are appreciated. I'm looking for people that have loaded dd-wrt on a wireless N router only, not just hearsay.

Thanks everyone,
Sponsor
zracer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 19:36    Post subject: Re: Looking for a router suggestion (requirements listed bel Reply with quote
divi2323 wrote:
My router at home finally died. (Very old trendnet router not supported by dd-wrt)

I'm looking for a wireless N router that has the following capabilities. It MUST be able to load dd-wrt's latest version. I know most of the features below are provided in the firmware, but i'm listing them to make sure that when dd-wrt is loaded they are stable in their function on this particular router.

1) Wireless N capability for faster wireless clients, Wireless G capability for backward compatibility.
2) Ability to load dd-wrt and be stable for all functions
3) QoS either at the hardware level, or supported through dd-wrt and is stable. This is very important with two teenagers in the house with bittorrents and 2 skype phones.
4) DDNS support
5) easily managed port forwarding.
6) no telnet connection drops. I use telnet and ssh ALOT and my last router disconnected my sessions after 3 minutes of activity with no way to configure it.
7) wireless network should be stable and support wpa2-aes and wpa2-tkip
Cool cost should be under $100. Though I know most wireless N routers new are over $100, i'd like to keep this on a budget.
9) Also it should have a minimum of 4x 10/100 ethernet ports, if not a gigabit port to plug into my current gigabit switch.

Suggestions are appreciated. I'm looking for people that have loaded dd-wrt on a wireless N router only, not just hearsay.

Thanks everyone,

I have a Linksys wrt350n v1 (USA Only) which meets most of your needs. This router is a draft n, gigabyte switch, 32Meg ram, 8Meg flash, with USB. However, it's probably still selling for more than $100. It does everything from 1-6, and 9. I can't really comment on 7 because I don't use encryption. One note on wireless N: I can say that I have definitely tested it. Because I use my wrt300n as a wireless client bridge in Wireless Mixed mode. I was assuming it was connect via 'n' but I never verified it. Overall I'm very impressed with this router, but I would definitely use the latest release, currently I'm running BS-RC7-9379 standard. It is capable of running the Mega builds but I don't use any of those features, so I'd rather have the jffs space.

Note: this is my main router (see sig below) and my home phone is voip behind the router so stability is extremely important.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

Linksys wrt400n - wireless bridge

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
divi2323
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's exactly what i'm looking for, thanks. I can pick up the 150 model instead of the 350 for about 20-30 cheaper. You dont happen to know the differences between them or anyone that has experience with the lower end model do you?
zracer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
divi2323 wrote:
That's exactly what i'm looking for, thanks. I can pick up the 150 model instead of the 350 for about 20-30 cheaper. You dont happen to know the differences between them or anyone that has experience with the lower end model do you?

It looks like the wrt150n is a differences are:
1) slower broadcom chipset
2) less memory, 16Meg ram and 4Meg flash
3) 10/100 switch
4) No USB.

Actually it looks very similar to my wrt300n v1 which work great. By the way, I checked out the draft 'n' and it seems to be working great, but I didn't quantify the speed yet.

Good luck with your purchase.

Linksys wrt400n - wireless bridge

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: