WRT54GS v5 users: How to enable 16 MB ram

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:04    Post subject: WRT54GS v5 users: How to enable 16 MB ram Reply with quote
Before you start reading this, check if 16MB is not already enabled. Then do nothing but enjoy dd-wrt.

ONLY FOR GS:

db90h wrote:

So, now you guys want 16MB eh?

WARNING: Do not try this on a WRT54G or any other model besides a WRT54GS v5. I haven't tested enough to know if it works ok even on a WRT54GS v5.1. Please use caution. Wait for test results.

Code:

nvram set sdram_init=0x0A
nvram set sdram_ncdl=0
nvram commit
reboot

Simple as that.

Also always check http://www.bitsum.com/openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5%5FCFE for latest news and fixes.

Last edited by Eko on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:01; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for making this new sticky thread Eko.

Users: It seems word is getting out slowly. Please, tell others about this news. This is a very important fix.

Last edited by on Mon Aug 07, 2006 14:24; edited 2 times in total
mig
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep!

It works also on a WRT54GS v5.1!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Added to wiki.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Enable_16MB_RAM_on_WRT54G_v5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for letting me know it works on a GS 5.1!

I posted pretty strong warnings elsewhere, but I'll reiterate them here: Trying this on an unsupported unit will brick your router, recoverable only through a JTAG based erasure of NVRAM.

I posted this information on the other thread, but I'll post it again here:

For those who own a D-2, or other 16MB model we haven't tested. I can say that it will work for sure only if your RAM chip is "mira p2v28s40btp".

For the curious:

WRT54GS v5

RAM : mira p2v28s40btp [5409fa03-6]
spec: http://www.deutron.com.tw/data_sheets/sdram/p2v28s_0btp11_07024.pdf

P2 == mira DRAM
V == LVTTL
28 == density (128mbit)
S == synchronous DRAM
4 == x16 organization (4 banks - 16-bit)
0 == random column
B == 3rd gen
TP == TSOP(II)

These RAM chips run at up to 166mhz. By default they are only running at 100mhz in these boxes. I'm not sure about the controller's capabilities though. I did notice that they work at CAS2 at 100mhz, though whether or not the controller is actually running them at CAS2 I don't know.. I'd have to benchmark. I'll work on my overclocking page and see if I can find a divider that will allow you to run the RAM chip faster without even overclocking the CPU.
kamjeshi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 21:13    Post subject: Firmware upgrade Reply with quote
I have 5.1 and the changes seem to work. Does this mean Mini or standard versions can be installed other than Micro?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 22:09    Post subject: Re: Firmware upgrade Reply with quote
kamjeshi wrote:
I have 5.1 and the changes seem to work. Does this mean Mini or standard versions can be installed other than Micro?

No. This affects RAM size, not ROM size.
madrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn you WRT-54G v5!! why must you suck so damn much. Oh well I already sent in the mail-in rebate Razz So I guess I saved money ... just trying to self comfort

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
madrix wrote:
Damn you WRT-54G v5!! why must you suck so damn much. Oh well I already sent in the mail-in rebate Razz So I guess I saved money ... just trying to self comfort

If it makes you feel better, I've found my Gv5 quite capable.
CrazyHorse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 15:59    Post subject: Yep! Reply with quote
This works fine for my v5.1 unit. Thank you for this one. BrainSlayer ought to add this to the defauilt options for V24 micro.
mrholepunch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
just to add another....

Settings were successful on a WRT54GS v5

Thanks Again!
Red_Rhino
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:00    Post subject: What about us 'G' users? Reply with quote
Although I am amazed by the breakthroughs BS and others have done with the WRT54G and GS models, we on the 'G' are limited to only 8MB and would love to squeeze another few 100k if thats possible. I'm sure myself and the others would be most grateful and hopefully with the extra memory get a few more options that are currently not found in the micro version.

Thanks,
Red_Rhino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:22    Post subject: Re: What about us 'G' users? Reply with quote
Red_Rhino wrote:
Although I am amazed by the breakthroughs BS and others have done with the WRT54G and GS models, we on the 'G' are limited to only 8MB and would love to squeeze another few 100k if thats possible. I'm sure myself and the others would be most grateful and hopefully with the extra memory get a few more options that are currently not found in the micro version.

Yea, I've been thinking about how to do this for some time. It's not easy though, and any little gain will immediately be offset by inclusion of another desired function to fill the gap. I really don't think much advancement will ever be made on this.. sorry. Plus, there's not much incentive.. it'll never be 'enough' no matter what, and I think at the moment I am the most motivated v5 series developer you'll find, so if I am saying this, you can count on it not being just a lack of interest or desire.
codegypsy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:47    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote
To brainslayer for awesome firmware,continued effort and a dedication to the technology and wireless community as whole.

To db90h for climbing aboard and making contributions to the technology and community far outweighing any true financial gains.

Thank you both of you.
Its obvious its done for the love and the desire to make it work !

Great Job guys and all other contributors.

./codegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 22:26    Post subject: Re: What about us 'G' users? Reply with quote
db90h wrote:

Yea, I've been thinking about how to do this for some time. It's not easy though, and any little gain will immediately be offset by inclusion of another desired function to fill the gap. I really don't think much advancement will ever be made on this.. sorry. Plus, there's not much incentive.. it'll never be 'enough' no matter what, and I think at the moment I am the most motivated v5 series developer you'll find, so if I am saying this, you can count on it not being just a lack of interest or desire.

Thanks for the honest answer. You have done so much for us v5 users to get the DD-WRT firmware on it, and we appreciate it. Keep up the good work!

Navigation

Jump to: