WRT600N, WTF?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers
jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:03    Post subject: WRT600N, WTF? Reply with quote
Anyone have any idea why this "still" isn't available in Australasia? It's getting beyond a joke, does anyone know if there anything equivalent to it that I "can" get in my region?!? Sigh....
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title=Supported_Devices
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, but I don't care whether it's supported or not.

I'm just hoping someone in this large wifi community will know something about its availability in Australia!

-jed.
Sisco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your best bet would be to contact Linksys to find out.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I suppose, I did email them and have had no response so far.

I don't like my chances of a CSR knowing much about what's actually going on though!

-jed.
Sisco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
jalyst wrote:
I suppose, I did email them and have had no response so far.

I don't like my chances of a CSR knowing much about what's actually going on though!

-jed.

Well, as a community, there is no way we can know when the item is planned to be deployed in a specific country unless Linksys has released a public announcement. You can't just order one from the US and have it shipped over?

Rick
jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a press release on the Australian website espousing the virtues of the wrt600n. Months and months later, nothing. I emailed asking them about it, but so far I've heard nothing.

-jed.
Sisco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I feel your pain man. Big corporations don't really care about the customers, it's all about the customer's money. If it takes too long for them to roll it out, they may loose interest and just wait and roll out the next model there.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to order one in the US and have it shipped? Or have someone in the US pick one up and ship it to you?

Rick
jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't have any friends or relies over there. I've heard of people setting-up their own local mailbox (can't remember what the lingo is) but it sounds logistically like a PIA and fraught with risks.

Well I actually have a Great Aunty, but I;ve only ever met her ederly american husband once, she was a war rbide, met a younf yankee out here in the war and went back with him. Lovely old fella, apprently has been back several times over the years as he feel a real affinity for this region and still know few people here. But I digress! Laughing
steffen.moser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 13:43    Post subject: Re: WRT600N, WTF? Reply with quote
jalyst wrote:
Anyone have any idea why this "still" isn't available in Australasia?

Very good question... I currently have the same problem here in Europe, the WRT600N isn't available here, either.

I have asked Linksys' support several times and a friend of mine talked to them on the CEBIT exhibition about one month ago. Linksys just can't (or I would say: don't want to) tell any point in time when the router will be available in Europe or especially in Germany.

When contacting their support I got very different statements:

- Release in Europe currently not intended.
- Release date planned, but no date available, yet.
- Will be released soon.

I don't know what their problems are. Perhaps it has to do with different national regulatory things in the 5 GHz band and they don't get the licenses for Non-US countries?

I already thought about ordering a WRT600N in the US, but I am not really fancy of the whole things that might be linked to it:

- Costs for duty
- Possible problems with the customs when importing radio hardware that is not certified for the EU market?
- How to pay it (as bank transfers into non-European countries are quite expensive)?
- What to do if the router is broken?
- As I would like to run, of course, DD-WRT on it: What to do if I get one out of the bunch that are affected by this problem?

So I am not really sure what to do...

Bye,
Steffen
jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah their attitude reeks of "monopolist"... If another vendor releases something with the same feature-set in this region, I'll be on it in a heartbeat. Particularly if it's broadcom based! Evil or Very Mad
jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:24    Post subject: Re: WRT600N, WTF? Reply with quote
steffen.moser wrote:

- As I would like to run, of course, DD-WRT on it: What to do if I get one out of the bunch that are affected by this problem?

yeah that's what makes it even more sucky, ill prolly end up "biting the bullet" and buying one anyway. Simply because im sick of waiting for this feature-set to become more common place. But I'll remain resentful towards Linksys Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: