What the f#%&?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
wann
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 18:24    Post subject: What the f#%&? Reply with quote
I live in a dorm and have a fonera running as a wireless router. Yesterday they pull my internet connection, cause my fonera deals ip's to other dorm members.
Now I've tried to make it as an access point like this http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/LaFonera_Software_AP-mode.
But now I can't connect to the web interface, and I can only connect with one computer (dhcp is completely off).

How can I have dhcp running on the wireless side without it running on the WAN side? Any ideas?

Completely newbie here :lol:

Brian
Sponsor
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use the magic button on the bottom of the F*nera.
wann
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hehe Smile
Does it help to reset the router? I haven't done anything besides changing the ssid and put encryption on.
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
It at least allows you to access the webgui, since you aren't sure what you did. Is it difficult to re-input the ssid + encryption key? There's feature in most operating known as "copy". And another one called "paste". They located/accessed within your broswer. They should make it easier to enter long ssid or encryption keys.
wann
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok... I'm in again. Now what should the configurations be so my neighbours don't kill me and so I'm able to use more than one computer on the wireless network?
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Standard AP mode is fine for that.
wann
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just leave DHCP on in "WAN Connection Type" and "Network Address Server Settings"?
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Before going further, why not get a slightly better wireless router that will allow more than one wireless client to pass thru data without maxing out the cpu. I use it in client mode, wireless AP while transferring files wirelessly within my net maxes out the cpu.

The defaults are fine for what your doing. I recommend putting it behind a router to offer non-overlapping freq. coverage as a way of reducing internal net bottleneck and cpu usage that the F*nera won't be able to handle.
remaker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't say what your dorm policies are. Some colleges will only allow one IP address per port, which could be the restriction you are seeing as an access point.

Maybe you DON'T want to be an access point. Set it up as a router as if you are attached to a cable network, get the ONE address that they allow you on the WAN port, and just use the locally assigned addresses on the LAN and wireless.

Do they allow multiple IP addresses per dorm room port?
computmaxer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
What I think he is saying is that other people in his dorm are using his AP and the dorm doesn't like that.

My suggestions would be to make sure you have security (WPA preferably) and turn off "broadcast ssid" so that no one else will be able to find you AP.

Also, to make sure not many computers are attached to it, set the Maximum # of DHCP leases to 2, or your desired number.

hope I interpreted your question correctly Smile

wann
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all the answers. I've actually been asked by the IT-department to buy a better router. Probably the best solution.

Thanks
Brian
computmaxer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
the fonera CAN be a better router! In fact, that's what this website is about, making routers better.

If you do decide to by a "better" router, I ould be interested in buying your fonera. PM me if you are interested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: