slow transfer rate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
blackshard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your replies.
Well, I tried again, but this time using Client Mode and no switch too.
Since wired switches tend to help situation, I thought it could be a wired related issue, so I tried changing any possible option I could with my realtek8139-based wired card, and get no appreciable gain.
Then I would like to see how much was the effective throughput between wired to wired and wireless to wireless interfaces using wget directly from fonera, but actually included wget version doesn't support redirection to /dev/null (it just terminates without any download) and so I couldn't check this thing Sad

Any other ideas or services I could use to have a massive file transfer from fonera shell?

Thank you.

PS: the attached image tells how fonera looks like being capped at 10 MBps speed, and how cpu resources are being depleted by the irq handler. Help! Smile
Sponsor
anguilla
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have also have slow transfer rate on lan with a fonera 2100 with dd-wrt rc6.2 I used 2 macs and the native protocol afp and I had very poor performance transfering a 54mb file (10 min).

any suggestion?
computmaxer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
try using a (wired) switch between the fonera and the router even if your router DOES have an integrated switch (most do these days).
Bmw1000c
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
so.. the only solution is to use a switch?
last0ne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blackshard, what RC revision are you using?
blackshard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tests are made with RC4, but i'm currently flashing RC6.2 and I'm setting up a switch to see if I have improvements.
I'll be able to post some results in the next hour I hope.
blackshard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here I am, new tests, old results :(

This time I tried in AP mode, RC6 with WPA TKIP, channel 11, the results says 1.4 Mb/s. Fonera is the AP, while a centrino notebook is the client. You can see this in the screenshot. Task manager shows again the "capped" style graph, again very high cpu load. Tried also using a switch (netgear FS608v3) between the fonera and the router with no appreciable speed gain.
Also SMB file transfer was slower than RC4, with a non-constant behaviour. I remember RC4 was almost constant even with kind of file transfer.

Then I tried in Client mode, with Fonera as client and Netgear dg834g as AP, and got exactly the same results as the previous post with RC4: 1.2 Mbps transfer rate in channel 1. Tried also without encryption, and I got 1.3-1.4 Mbps, just a bit more. But as usual, very high cpu load (web interface could not autoupdate and was almost completely unresponsive).

All the test have been made with very strong signal (85% average), but I tried also to move in a worse position (50% signal) without any appreciable difference in throughput.

I hope these test will help to solve this curious speed problem.
kampz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
i don't really get it.. how did you measure the speed?
have you try something like www.speedtest.net? or download something from rapidshare? and compare the result with external (wire) switch and without..
blackshard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm just transferring files between the local area network, via Netbios or usually FTP. The throughput is measured observing Filezilla Client status (you see 1.4 Mbyte/s in the last screenshot).
The wired sections are always connected with 100 Mbps and when I use Fonera as AP, I shut off Netgear's wifi card to avoid any possible interference.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: