WOL Script

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
marksoccer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:32    Post subject: WOL Script Reply with quote
I recently discovered how awesome WOL is, but it is a real pain entering/remembering "/usr/sbin/wol -i [ip address] [mac address]" I always start the same computer (my desktop) so I always use the exact same command. Is there a way I can hardcode my router so that as soon as I ssh in, all I have to do is type "desktop"? I did see a WOL script that I put into the startup script for my router, but it didnt work the way I thought and it still had a longer command than "desktop." Is this possible? I would greatly appreciate any help.
Sponsor
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Enter the commands into a script named desktop.sh

cd /tmp

echo "/usr/sbin/wol -i [ip address] [mac address]" > desktop.sh

chmod it as executable

chmod +x desktop.sh

Then run it

./desktop.sh

BTW, if you save WOL command in the web gui as custom script, you can run it by typing ./custom.sh instead. That script will remain even after reboot, but desktop.sh will not.
marksoccer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick reply. That worked great, except that the command is "sh ../custom.sh" to run the custom script from ssh. thanks
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad to help. :)

The command really depends on what directory you're in, and if script was chmod +x or not.

Most of the time I just do ./scriptname from the same directory the script is in.
marksoccer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see, thanks again Very Happy
deepdvd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a great idea, but /tmp is removed after a router reboot, so if the power goes out, you'll have to type the whole thing.

Edit: Nevermind, I missed this part.
soulstace wrote:
BTW, if you save WOL command in the web gui as custom script, you can run it by typing ./custom.sh instead. That script will remain even after reboot, but desktop.sh will not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: