Looking for a fast DD-WRT based router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers
cbreaker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:52    Post subject: Looking for a fast DD-WRT based router Reply with quote
I'm looking for a high performance DD-WRT router in a small platform. It looks like I need more performance than what is available with my 54G-based broadcom router and I really would rather not try to piece together some box myself for $600.

It doesn't need WiFi but it would be a plus (I could use my existing DD-WRT box for that, if it didn't.)

I have a 20Mbit cablemodem, and when downloading at full speed, even the WiFi gets slow. Forget about enabling QoS. My existing DD-WRT runs OpenVPN and even that brings the performance down enough that it taxes the CPU when using 2Mbit over VPN tunnels.

So, I'm looking for a higher performance DD-WRT router, running on a low-power platform.

If anyone has something they want to sell, or has a suggestion as to where I should look for a low-hassle solution, please let me know.

Thanks!
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
avila boads (ddwrt shop), pc-engines alix
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
The WHR-G125 appears to be relatively cheap, not sure where to buy them now that I can't find any Buffalo routers in US stores. It's also quite fast.

Linksys WRT350N & WRT600N looks promising?? $129 $249 respectively in US funds at many retail places when on sale. Other Linksys draft-n routers in the $100-150 range that is dd-wrt compatible will handle your connection easily. The Gigabit routers are still too expensive.
punker_4_real
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simon wrote:
The WHR-G125 appears to be relatively cheap, not sure where to buy them now that I can't find any Buffalo routers in US stores. It's also quite fast.

Linksys WRT350N & WRT600N looks promising?? $129 $249 respectively in US funds at many retail places when on sale. Other Linksys draft-n routers in the $100-150 range that is dd-wrt compatible will handle your connection easily. The Gigabit routers are still too expensive.

i have two buffalos for sale WHR-G54S & WHR-HP-g54

$75 for the G54S Preinstalled with DD-wrt
$160 for the HP-G54 New in Box
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow those Buffalo's has REALLY gone up in price.

Anyhow, the wrt350n are selling at about $149 at major US retailers, while I may wait to buy a wrt600n ($249 ouch!!) when price drops another $50 or so. wrt300n can be had for $99. Linksys also has created a line of cheap routers that has no removable antennas, looks "slick/sexy/very flat" but cheaply made. Not sure if they run Linux though. wrt160n??
jrv2kgt-s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simon, have you checked by Circuit City? I went there yesterday and they had a couple whr-hp-g54 there marked for $79 but they rang up as $49. If I were you, I would definitely check and see if there's one near you before buying from these "Router Scalpers".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: