Alternative speed test site to Speedtest.net

seti
DD-WRT User

Location: Physically: Somewhere in time and space / Mentally: As lost as the next person

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 19:21    Post subject: Alternative speed test site to Speedtest.net Reply with quote
I didn't know where to post this so here it is...in Announcements. I personally think that Speedtest.net is flawed in the speeds it returns, for cable users anyhow. I have read that the speed that is returned from speedtest.net is from the local node to the ping location you choose. This makes sense to me when speedtest.net returns a 20+mb down connection and I by no means get that kind of speed from anything I do while surfing/snagging/etc....

I have found that a more reliable test to be from:
http://www.wugnet.com/myspeed/speedtest.asp

Seems to be a bit more accurate in my experience and NO I have no affiliation with Wugnet and this isn't an advert...you decide...check ya!

DD-WRT rules!
Sponsor
Frenchy2k1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is due to how cable manage their bandwidth.
This is not a bug, but a "feature".
If works with a token system.
Comcast for example, will boost your first few hundreds kB, giving you full bandwidth (or the 20Mb/s you talk about). Then, as you use your tokens, your speed will come down to your rated 6Mb/s (or what your contract says).
If you stop using your connection, you get new token every few seconds.

This is to optimize the very frequent "click-> load webpage -> read -> click next link" usage. This gives full speed for short burst, but regulate the average.

As most bandwidth test are quite small, they fall within that token limit and will measure the full bandwidth of your line.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
this speed test is crap. i have a 50 mbit VDSL line and it shows 3.2 mbit/s. i get full speed if i just download a file from dd-wrt.com

Location: Physically: Somewhere in time and space / Mentally: As lost as the next person

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Frenchy2k1: Interesting information...I never knew how that actually worked. Thanks!

Brainslayer: So what you are saying is...the search continues for me and speed tests Very Happy

Thanks!

DD-WRT rules!
Borage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
this speed test is crap. i have a 50 mbit VDSL line and it shows 3.2 mbit/s. i get full speed if i just download a file from dd-wrt.com

Try this one and tell us the results.

http://tptest.sourceforge.net/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: