HOWTO: Client Bridged Mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
johnnylavah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
jcongo wrote:
I also had the same problem with my XBOX 360 when I power cycled my Linksys WRTG54 v8(Client Bridge) router.

A work-around to this problem is to setup the Administration\Keep Alive settings. There is WDS/Connection Watchdog setting that will automatically reboot your client bridge if it fails to detect an IP address.
I set the interval time to 60 seconds and the IP address to the IP address on my primary DLINK router. When you power cycle the Linksys(Client Bridge) the connection watchdog runs after 60 seconds. The watchdog will then fail because the client bridge is not available after a power cycle. The watchdog will then do a warm reboot which in turn fixes the Client Bridge, DHCP…etc)

That worked great, thanks!
Sponsor
sshaikh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
With respect to the transparency of the bridge, it's worth mentioning that the Windows XP bridge thing also acts in the same way; you only see its wifi MAC at the router end too for all the clients connected to it.
traalfaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 21:52    Post subject: WAP54Gv3 - can't get bridge fully functional Reply with quote
I have a bridge between two Linksys WAPs that's been running for a couple of years. However, on one end the link is flaky; there's some kind of interference or something that causes the thing to keep changing its encryption key to something random. Swapping boxes didn't help but switching to DD-WRT did; it's rock stable now.

However, the bridge is not running quite right. Here's the setup:

Modem -> local wireless router (Netgear WGR-614) -> Linksys WAP11B - - -> Linksys WAP54G+dd-wrt(v24 micro) -> switch -> PCs

I have the WAP11B set in AP mode with WEP encryption.
I have the WAP54G set in Client Bridge mode.

It links, and I can ping. I can set up PCs on the second segment with static IPs and DNS and such and they work, but the PCs on the 2nd network will not DHCP successfully. It SHOULD get its DHCP requests satisfied by the Netgear. This USED to work when both Linksys boxes were set with factory firmware in "bridge" mode.

I can haul a laptop up to the other building, select the network that the WAP11B is hosting, enter the WEP key, and it connects and DHCPs correctly.

So that's my problem; DHCP isn't working.

Somewhere around here I have another WAP54G; if I can find it I'm going to trash that old WAP11B, it's ancient, but it's what I have on hand right now. If I find the 54G I'll flash that to dd-wrt as well and see if it helps, but since DHCP works with regular clients on the 11B now, I'm not sure it will help.

Any suggestions?
wayland
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wrote a whole big essay on this but my browser lost it. So here is the simple version.

Clients on the bridged lan lose their real MAC address when their traffic passes through the bridge. They end up 'coloured' with the MAC address of the bridge wrt.

Obviously with everyone bridge side offering the same MAC address, DHCP cannot individually assign IP addresses.

The problem does not end here. Even if you assign static IP's you are going to have problems when two bridge side clients try to access the Internet or PC's lan side.

Check the above using arp -a on a lan side PC you have been pinging from PCs on the bridge side. The problem would look something like this;
Code:

C:\Documents and Settings\...>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.123 --- 0x3
  Internet Address      Physical Address     
  192.168.1.1           00-16-b6-ea-39-e3     'router
  192.168.1.2           00-16-b6-bc-62-08     'bridge
  192.168.1.96          00-30-6e-fa-1b-0b     'lan side
  192.168.1.97          00-0e-2e-84-bb-e6     'lan side
  192.168.1.201         00-16-b6-bc-62-08     'bridge side
  192.168.1.202         00-16-b6-bc-62-08     'bridge side

Regards,
Wayland.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
wayland wrote:
Obviously with everyone bridge side offering the same MAC address, DHCP cannot individually assign IP addresses.

Wow. In that case, dd-wrt doesn't really have what you could really call a working bridge mode then, does it?

Is it possible for this to work? It worked with the stock firmware but that was with the other end in bridge mode, not AP mode. It seems like the thing could masquerade the sender's MAC, but I don't know much about how TCP/IP works inside.

I might try setting up the second end as a router with its own subnet then; can the single port on a WAP54G be plugged into a switch with client PCs, and the wireless end be used as a WAN port?
wayland
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
traalfaz wrote:

Wow. In that case, dd-wrt doesn't really have what you could really call a working bridge mode then, does it?

Yes the fact that dd-wrt does not have a working bridge mode is rather shocking, but then nether do any of the other firmwares on this hardware. I assume it's a hardware thing since the MAC address is a hardware address. It may be a different situation with GL version hardware since this is able to spoof different ESSIDs using V24 RC6.2

A company I know how sell a product based on the WRT54G tried to actually use these to bridge some buildings together. Their results were terrible and they gave up using the WRT54G based units on that job.

For me the most useful part of dd-wrt is wireless client mode. This works fine. I believe there are only two circumstances where bridge mode can be used. First where you only have one PC and second where you use an external router. Both pretty pointless uses.

I don't have experience of WAP54G but if it runs dd-wrt then it should do client mode the same as wrt54g. On the client turn off the firewall and NAT and set up a static route in the main router to reach your client subnet. Traffic will flow freely between the two.

Good luck,
Wayland

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 0:05    Post subject: BEFW11S4 main router FON router DD-WRT as wireles bridge Reply with quote
I have a BEFW11S4 router as my main router in the house. It has the standard linksys firmware on it. I have a FON router flashed with DD_WRT v24 RC-5 setup as a wireless bridge. If I plug the sling directly into the linsys router everything works perfect. As soon as I put it on the wireless bridge sling player can't find it. I can ping 192.168.1.237 when it's on the wireless bridge and get responses. I have the firewall turned off on the bridge also. I can telnet 192.168.1.237 5100 and get a hanging blang screen which tells me the port is open. I also can get the sling to work if I use the IP instead of the finder service. I can connect the FON to my laptop and get internet to work fine. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
crosbytw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am looking for some way to improve the transparency of my wireless bridge. I have a buffalo WHR-G54S flashed with DD-WRT v23.SP2 bridged via "client bridge mode" to another buffalo with the original firmware running WPA security. My neighbor has his XBox connected to the host router, mine is connected to the client router.
Almost everything works fine. I can share media between PC's anywhere on the network and either XBox, and both XBoxes can connect to XBox Live with Open NAT. I even have an HP network printer behind the client and it works perfectly. The only thing that doesn't work is a System Link between the two xboxes.

Some background info from my attempts so far:
-Pinging a computer behind the client from a computer connected to the host does not work.
-Many forums have suggested Cloning the XBox MAC to the Router. When I do this, the XBox cannot acquire an IP from the host. Same deal when I enter the router's MAC address into the XBox network settings
-I have tried every manner of static IP, DMZ, port forwarding - no go.
-I have tried two telnet scripts
# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/`route | grep default | awk '{print $NF}'`/proxy_arp
# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/br0/proxy_arp
Both of these were intended to fix this exact problem, but neither have executed in my case.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
anonymous123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have used the client bridge a number of times, and it has been a huge help. I'm sure that this post will help others, thanks.
Supermercado
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nevermind, I got it figured out. I had it set to TKIP and my existing network was using AES. Still doesn't work for WPA2 but that's documented so I can't complain.

Hi all,

I just bought a WRT54GL with the intent to use it as a client bridge to connect my Xbox 360. I got it flashed to DD-WRT okay but now I'm having trouble with the bridge setup. I first tried the setup with my existing WPA2 security but saw a few things online that said V23 SP2 didn't support that so I moved to WPA. I tried several times to make the bridge work to no avail. I decided to try disabling the security on my wireless and then tried the bridge again. That worked like a champ. I was able to get to the internet on my laptop, connected to the bridge router with no problem.

I then tried going back to WPA and now I can't get to the internet again. It appears that I'm able to connect to my wireless network with no problem - even when using WPA2, this step worked fine. The problem comes in right after that when I take the static IP out and try to get an IP through the DHCP of my primary router. It gives me an IP but it never says anything for the default gateway and I can't get to the internet.

I've looked around trying to find out what's going on but I haven't had any luck yet. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks![/b]

Last edited by Supermercado on Thu Feb 21, 2008 18:39; edited 1 time in total
freakalad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 16:50    Post subject: Network Reply with quote
I've recently added 2 (Cisco) Linksys WRT-54GL (flashed to dd-wrt v23sp2) and a WAP54G (v24 rc6 micro) that is acting.
This is replacing some Planet WMRT-414 AP's damaged by power disruptions/spikes.
All of this sits on top of my IPCop 1.4.18 firewall/gateway/DHCP/DNS/etc, newly setup on new hardware.
Prior to replacing the old AP's, everything worked fine. IPCop's a system I've used with great sucsess for several years, without much trouble.

Now I can only get HTTP & HTTPS traffic up to my IPCop box (192.168.2.1/255.255.255.0), but nothing else.

I've followed instructions in this forums, and all 3 AP's are set up as Gateway, Client Bridge. This was the only combination I could use to establish connections. Added MAC's of other AP's in WDS LAN's

Please help me troubleshoot my network.
What am I missing? I feel it could a simple setting somewhere, but find it frustrating to find

Heeeelp!!! Pleaaase!

-Jaco
Nominee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:55    Post subject: Please Help - No internet access on client bridge... Reply with quote
Hi all,

I just flashed my new router with this fabulous software in hopes of being able to use the client bridge feature.

I'm stuck...

I've setup Router A (Belkin) as main router, and Router B (WRH54G) as the client bridge.

I can access each router's admin page from either router, and can even ping either machine.

My problem is that I have no internet access on Router B. Router A works flawlessly.

Please help.
freakalad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 13:32    Post subject: Fix Reply with quote
Disabled Administration > Management > Routing

Found this helped with my problem
frankspin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
How do I enable ports 3 and 4 to work on the router? 1 and 2 work fine but when I switch to 3 and 4, they do nothing.

Also, do I need to set up port forwarding on both devices if one device is hooked up to the client?
Nominee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 20:02    Post subject: Re: Please Help - No internet access on client bridge... Reply with quote
Anybody? Please help...this is very frustrating...

Nominee wrote:
Hi all,

I just flashed my new router with this fabulous software in hopes of being able to use the client bridge feature.

I'm stuck...

I've setup Router A (Belkin) as main router, and Router B (WRH54G) as the client bridge.

I can access each router's admin page from either router, and can even ping either machine.

My problem is that I have no internet access on Router B. Router A works flawlessly.

Please help.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 12 of 18
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: