slow transfer rate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
kreker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 19:38    Post subject: slow transfer rate Reply with quote
I have a fonera with DD-WRT v24 RC-3 (09/13/07) std connected in bridge mode with my wifi router. When I try to transfer something from my pc to the one connected to llafonera, the trasnfer reach 40 kb/sec max! I think there is something wrong with the fonera, or the linux machine that receive the file. In both case can you help me? The network card is recognized by the system but maybe something is wrong with the driver (i'm using ubuntu) but when I donwload something from internet I reach the top adsl speed and via cable too!Via cable I reach 10/100mbit...so i think there is something wrong with the fonera...can you please help me?

thanks
Sponsor
kreker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found a problem....the trasnfer of the ftp was limited by the server to 40kbit...so i removed it, but the transfer is still low....800kb-1mb approx...in conclusion, the network card or driver in linux or windows are fine, the signal is good (87% in this test) so it's a fonera problem....any ideas?
dltv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
been mentioned many times on the forums...

some people manage to get it to about 3mb a sec but for me my speed never gets above 900-1.3mb

Your not the only one..
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
kreker wrote:
... the signal is good (87% in this test) so it's a fonera problem....any ideas?

maybe the receiver is overpowered. how much is the snr? >50db?
everything above 25-28db will end up in a 54mbit rate. but to much will decrease troughput

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
the snr is about 50-55...it isnt right?
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
then try to reduce the tx power on both sites to something like 35db snr and see whats happening
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
nothing happens!
it's a firmware problem?
kampz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
try to put a switch between your router and fon...
in my case, if i connect router and fon directly, the max connection is only around 800kbps, and with switch in between it can reach more than 5mbps...
blackshard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dunno if it works. Actually I tried the fonera in client mode and in AP mode, and in both modes I get a throughput of around 1Mbyte/s, that's around 8 megabit/s.
Also I noticed that, while i'm transferring large files, cpu load goes up to 1.50/1.70. Maybe there's something wrong with the the interrupt handler or so...
kreker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
kampz wrote:
try to put a switch between your router and fon...
in my case, if i connect router and fon directly, the max connection is only around 800kbps, and with switch in between it can reach more than 5mbps...

you are talking about a wifi switch or cabled swtich?

thanks for help
last0ne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should try using channel 1. I was getting crappy speedy with other channel for some unknown reasons. I was using rc6.2. I max out at 41% of 54mbps or 22mbps.
kampz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 22:05    Post subject: switch Reply with quote
cable switch...

it's between your normal router (or whatever you normally use to connect to internet) and fonera:

internet - router - switch - fonera - pc

after you tried... please let me know if it works...
coz it works well in my case.. and i am using a cheapest switch..
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28387
blackshard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I glad to see that someone is getting full speed out of this hardware. Actually I connect my fonera to a dg834g (which has an integrated 4 port fast ethernet switch) and I'm still getting 8 Mbps (around 1000 kbyte/s) throughput in AP mode :/
I put original fonera firmware with same network topology and magically throughput went up and reached 22 Mbps, exactly the same amount the dg834g is able to give too.

I tried also dd-wrt in client mode, so with ethernet directly connected to a fast ethernet card (realtek based), and again 8 Mbps throughput :/

I'll try with another switch between the fonera and the router and I will post the result.
Can you both say us the name and the model of the chipset inside your switches?
last0ne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
my switch is part of the router. my router is wrc-1000. It's an old wireless(802.11b) router w/ 4 port network. Ya, my rate was transfering a 300MB file between 2 computers. I was getting shitty speed at all other channel except channel 1. You should try to use only 1, 6, and 11 too. I hope that help. My setup is a computer--cat5e-->router--cat5e-->fon--wireless-->labtop.

Last edited by last0ne on Fri Mar 28, 2008 19:39; edited 1 time in total
kampz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
in my case, if i only use the router inside my adsl modem (CopperJet 816 RouterPlus has a router inside for sure) the speed was drop, no matter what channel that i use.
and then i read someone mention about using external switch in fon forum, so i give it a shot, and i can get my full speed back.

about the external switch that i use, i am not so sure what is the chipset inside, i just take the cheapest one when i bought it. the type is Asus GigaX 1005 Desktop Switch 10/100.

so my configuration is: internet line -(cable)- adsl modem -(cable)- external switch -(cable)- fonera -(wlan)- laptop.

i also try to use original fonera firmware without using external switch, and the speed that i get is around 2500 kbps, and with external switch i can get my full speed.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: