Onboard Splash Screen Configuration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
zman072767
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 21:33    Post subject: Onboard Splash Screen Configuration Reply with quote
Have a WRT54G V8 Running the firmware of DD-WRT V24 RC-5 Code, want to upload a splash screen on the router itself for a public wifi access instead of doing a HTTP Redirect.

I do not see support for this type of setup under this version of the software. Is anyone aware of what previous codes support this on the WRT54G v8 ?

Thanks,
zman
Sponsor
gaganwalia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
thats exactly what i am looking for and been asking this question almost daily for the last month, but no one has replied to me either.

This is my post http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25563 and the problem that I am having. The splash.html file does not show up and there is not much help on it.
You can try this page http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/NoCatSplash
zman072767
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, I have seen that link too. I really think they too this functionality away, but would like to know what previous codes supports this for the v8 WRT54G

Zman
stalonge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Me too

1 R7800 54420 AP Wireguard webserver JFFS SAMBA FTP usb HD Mesh
1 R7800 54420 Cli Mesh
1 WZR1750 54389 AP Webserver Samba Wireguard
1 TP link Archer C7v5 54420 Cli Mesh
1 DD x86_64 48296 Gateway Samba Ftp Webserver
gaganwalia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
i even tried this on the wrt350N but still not working. i too think that the functionality was taken away. this is really frustrating. because that is the obly thing that i wanted.
dpp3530
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 13:55    Post subject: Re: Onboard Splash Screen Configuration Reply with quote
zman072767 wrote:
Have a WRT54G V8 Running the firmware of DD-WRT V24 RC-5 Code, want to upload a splash screen on the router itself for a public wifi access instead of doing a HTTP Redirect.

I do not see support for this type of setup under this version of the software. Is anyone aware of what previous codes support this on the WRT54G v8 ?

Thanks,
zman

If you're using a V8, then you're using the micro version. To do what you want with NoCatSplash requires a JFFS partition, and the V8 doesn't have enough flash memory for that.
gaganwalia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
but even using a GL with 4MB flash, i was not able to get it going. i still get a device full error when i try to use the jffs partition on the router. i am using the standard v24rc5 version
cramer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's not enough flash to enable JFFS in order to upload anything larger than a few KB. With a 4M flash router you can alter the firmware image's rootfs to add the splash directly into the fs. (There are tools for unbundling/rebuilding the squashfs image in the wiki. Look under development.) With an 8M+ flash router there's enough room to mount a usable JFFS partition. (note: it might be erased the next time the firmware is updated.)

With 2M flash... an MMC hack would be the only option. And that assumes micro even supports mmc.
tuctboh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you telnet/ssh to the dd-wrt, what does /tmp/nocat.log show?
wo-fo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here you guys go...

http://auth1.ilovemywimax.com/htdocs/dd-wrt/nocat/

In that directory I have placed a version of V24 that has both the autoap script, if you are interested in that, and it also has 128k of /jffs space available on the firmware.. Grab that firmware, and also grab thos nocat splash files there as an example of how to do this..

As you can see, you can have more than one web page in the onboard web server in dd-wrt.. You can have a whole series of pages in there..

What you do is clean jffs and enable jffs and then reboot the router.. Once /jffs is mounted, ssh into the router and create a directory called:

/jffs/tmp/www

do this with this command:

mkdir /jffs/tmp/www

Now copy my splash page in there (/jffs/tmp/www), just to get this going, along with the pictures and stuff that the splash page will load.. Then go to the nocat splash setup screen and change the "Document Root" to:

/jffs/tmp/www

instead of just the /www that is there by default..

Leave the splash URL empty, as that is for having a remote splash page... The "Homepage" is where you will be redirected to after clicking the OK button on the splash page..

The "Allowed Web Hosts" field is a space seperated list of websites that can be viewed without clicking the "I Agree" button on the splash page..

The rest of the fields can be left alone and I don't think the Gateway Name really matters..

So there is what you need.. You now have the right firmware, and I will check back and see if you get the configuration going..

When I went through this a few years ago, I found that you can choose the default settings and see it work immediately, but you can't alter the splash page, because it is embedded in the /www directory.. So all you are really doing by my instructions is to move that web directory so you can change those files and add more to them, including pictures, links, and other pages within the router all at one time..

If you get this going, then you will find that the autoap script is built in to that firmware also, and it resides in /etc/ directory... You can make this an auto repeater with a splash page very easily.. I have done it with that exact file setup I just posted for you.. I went through my files and dug that out just for you guys...

I also wrote a very detailed description on this forum about exactly each step to get this going and all of the ins and outs of it, but now I can't find it.. It's there somewhere, but it seems to be lost in the clutter... That should have been put in the wiki, as many good tutorials around here should be, but never make it there..

I hope that helps... I'll check back on you with this one..

wo-fo
tuctboh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
wo-fo wrote:
Here you guys go...

...............details deleted........

I hope that helps... I'll check back on you with this one..

wo-fo

Thanks. I'm prone to stick with stock images, this way when they are updated I don't need to worry about bugging you/et al for an update.

I just started looking into this today. I solved one problem (Apparently the status screen ISN'T part of the built in splashd. It wasn't until I got the source and looked that I found I needed a status.html . Once I did that, I stopped the crashing issue). The other problem I don't think there is anything I can do about, only a new image (OR, YES, Firmware Mod Kit disassemble, fix, reassemble).

I found the /tmp/nocat.log showing :

Code:

/tmp/start_splashd.sh: /tmp/start_splashd.sh: 3: splashd: not found

and

/tmp # cat /tmp/start_splashd.sh
#!/bin/sh
sleep 20
splashd >> /tmp/nocat.log 2>&1 &

So apparently /usr/sbin isn't in the path when its invoked. The short term fix is to telnet in and type :

Code:

/usr/sbin/splashd >> /tmp/nocat.log 2>&1 &

Long term fix, not sure. But I'd bet that this is potentially atleast 1/2 of peoples problems running it.

Tuc
wo-fo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dude.. You are soooo on your own then... The stock firmwares don't work for this or I wouldn't have bothered to post that one for you.. They all have one issue or another..

That's cool.. Keep doing what you are doing.. LOL...

later.....

wo-fo
tuctboh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
wo-fo wrote:
Dude.. You are soooo on your own then... The stock firmwares don't work for this or I wouldn't have bothered to post that one for you.. They all have one issue or another..

That's cool.. Keep doing what you are doing.. LOL...

later.....

wo-fo

Well, thought that was the reason for the project and the forum. Everyone helps everyone else out using the same common ground. Too many times have I been in support lists where someone asks a question about something being broke, the list tries desperately to help them, and in frustration the original poster mentions its not the stock (apache/sendmail/bind/rt/mysql/etc) but a specially patched one for (security/LDAP/only listen on one interface/run FrontPage) which is why it isn't behaving the same as the rest of the lists.

Once I realized the 2 issues, its been working for me. So yea, I'll be on my own with the rest of the community that uses the stock image.

If it was a patch kit, thats one thing. I don't mind patch kits. Atleast I know the next time I load an image what I might have to patch. And it helps people learn more about the system and usage than the "I've fixed it for you, load it and use it. If you don't, then you are on your own".

And hey, you keep doing your thing and best of luck with your enchilada. :-D

Tuc
biggy boy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
wo-fo wrote:
Here you guys go...

http://auth1.ilovemywimax.com/htdocs/dd-wrt/nocat/

In that directory I have placed a version of V24 that has both the autoap script, wo-fo

Hi Wo-Fo!
I tried following your link to the v24 with the Autoap, but the link did not work.

I'm hoping to install it on my WRT54g v8 that is currently running v24 RC-5 (11/22/07) micro - build 8420 also interested on putting it on my WRT54gl 1.1 I'm hoping to be able to use the Autoap features.

Thanks
Glen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: