Script to automatically login to hotspot?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
FRiC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 13:20    Post subject: Script to automatically login to hotspot? Reply with quote
I searched but couldn't find anything useful...

Is there a script to automatically login to an ISP's paid captive portal, assuming the router is put into client mode, and assuming that I have a valid account with the ISP? (I'm not trying to hack the ISP or get free access.)

I'm asking because in some areas in my city, it's downright impossible to get landline/ADSL, but it's often possible to get paid wi-fi access. I think it would be nice if the router can handle the captive portal login process, and the users can just transparently access the Internet. This is also to prevent having to give the username and password to the users to let them handle the login.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
wo-fo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well... This is indeed possible.. You can add "CURL" as an IPKG and that will populate data fields on a web page, such as the login portal of the pay wifi system, and then it will click the LOGIN button for you.. It is a scripting language that lets you enter data into text boxes and automatically run the web page, just like you would like to do..

How to use CURL to do this? I am not the expert, but I do know that it works because I have seen it done for other purposes, such as automatically configuring routers through the web interface, but using a script with no human intervention..

Maybe someone else can take this further for you, but that is the foundation for it, and yes, I know it can be done..

You could also call the WISP and ask them if they have the capability to use "MAC-Authentication" to sign on, instead of a username and pasword.. Most captive portals can do this with no problem.. Then you would issue them a list of MAC addresses for every client you want to connect and they would all bypass the login page and be straight online... This is usually used for authenticating phones and other handheld devices that can't login on their own..

Take care,

wo-fo
FRiC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip! This is enough to get me started. (Didn't know about curl Razz)
virtualien
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 20:25    Post subject: did it work? Reply with quote
did you succeed with automated authentication to the hotspot? If so, would you be so kind to provide a quick guide.

Thanks in advance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: