WHR-HP-G54 vs. WHR-G54S vs. WRTSL54GS vs. WL-500GP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
luckman212
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:07    Post subject: WHR-HP-G54 vs. WHR-G54S vs. WRTSL54GS vs. WL-500GP Reply with quote
Hello,
For many months my router of choice for running DD-WRT is Linksys WRT54GL. It has been pretty solid/reliable, but I look for something maybe with some added features (USB?) or higher performance, longer range etc.

I have seen now these:.............................
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Buffalo WHR-G54S
Linksys WRTSL54GS
ASUS WL-500GP

Can someone make informed recommendation for stable, reliable router to install at my clients sites? I have seen mentioned the following problems:

Asus WL-500GP: loose power connector causes resets (true??)
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54, Buffalo WHR-G54S: confused which of these is better (internal amp, boardflags must be set-- but are they the same? BrainSlayer says he likes plain WHR-G54S better but for reasons unknown)
WRTSL54GS: non-detachable antenna

so which is the best one to get?? thanks for your solid advice Laughing
Sponsor
KingOfNod
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 21:10    Post subject: unstable Reply with quote
I have the air station turbo G, WHRG54S
It works ok with the dd-wrt on it. It worked pretty good for a while as a ap
then suddenly b clients couldnt get in. then it was both g and b clients no one
could get in. So I had flashed it with beta version, then decided it wasnt working out
so i put on 23 sp1 standard onto it, flashed fine, but now I am unable to log in.
Also the reset button is no longer working, to reset ddwrt to default is no longer an
option with the button gone, yet it retained some info like the encryption keys, but not
the mac address filters.

I suggest for your clients you get Game adaptors, with external antenna's they work great for clients. I use the netgear me101b bridges, they are cheap and work great and power outages is not an issue. They retain the info well, so when I set one up, then install it at the client site it's up as soon as I tune in the antenna! They use Cat5 to the computer!!! Which is a plus in my book.

KingOfNod
luckman212
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
thank you for your reply, however I am still a little confused-- are you saying you recommend WHR-G54S or no? and what do you mean game adapters? which brand/model you mean? THis is mostly for clients who have laptops that already have wi-fi built in (acer, sony, hp, dell etc) which mostly use Intel 2200BG or Broadcom chipsets.

I would like advice to which of the above routers is best for DDWRT currently, since they are easily available and not too expensive Wink
adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well the Asus WL-500GP is your best choice right now if you want USB support. 8MB flash and 32MB RAM + fast CPU and removable antenna makes for a great all purpose router with USB.

If you want the most powerfull router, then the Buffalo WZR-RS-G54 has 8MB flash and 64MB RAM. It can run LOTS of services at the same time : Hotspot, VPN etc..

If you want a router with a powerfull signal for the most range, the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 is your best bet. When you manually set the boardflags, the builtin amplifier is activated and it more then doubles your range. It also has a heatsing on the CPU so you can overclock it withought worrying too much about the CPU overheating. (Don;t know if overclocking is supported on this unit yet.....)

Voila !

Hope this will help in your decision.

Adi
luckman212
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you... ok then I am probably going to get the WHR-HP-G54. I have heard too many cries from BrainSlayer about faulty CFE on WZR-RS-G54. And I dont need USB storage although I would like extra RAM. Range is usually the most important thing to my clients. So maybe Asus with a high-gain antenna would match the range of the WHR-HP-G54?? Is it true? If yes, then which antenna to buy? Any recommendation for this? Thank you very much. Wink
adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
luckman212 wrote:
Thank you... ok then I am probably going to get the WHR-HP-G54. I have heard too many cries from BrainSlayer about faulty CFE on WZR-RS-G54. And I dont need USB storage although I would like extra RAM. Range is usually the most important thing to my clients. So maybe Asus with a high-gain antenna would match the range of the WHR-HP-G54?? Is it true? If yes, then which antenna to buy? Any recommendation for this? Thank you very much. Wink

Well, an antenna will definetly improove things but you can also change the antenna on the WHR-HP-G54 to get even more crazy range. If you need omnidirectional coverage, then a 7dbi or 9dbi rubber ducky antenna should be great for your needs.

Adi
luckman212
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
do you have any recommendations for a high quality low cost 5-7 dbi omni antenna reverse SMA ? I see many for sale at newegg anywhere from $9 up to $150 but no clue as to which ones are good or not... Crying or Very sad
adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
luckman212 wrote:
do you have any recommendations for a high quality low cost 5-7 dbi omni antenna reverse SMA ? I see many for sale at newegg anywhere from $9 up to $150 but no clue as to which ones are good or not... Crying or Very sad

Just go on ebay and search for "9dbi omni sma". You should find what you're looking for Wink
I got both of mine for 20$.

Adi
dwieringa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
adisor19:

This comparison of router trade offs is very helpful. Does anyone know the process to add it to the wiki? I see there is a "Recommended Devices" section now, but it's not very detailed (yet).
adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
dwieringa wrote:
adisor19:

This comparison of router trade offs is very helpful. Does anyone know the process to add it to the wiki? I see there is a "Recommended Devices" section now, but it's not very detailed (yet).

Ya, i'll update the Wiki if i have time time weekend.. I'm going on vacation to Romania for a month on tuesday so i won't be here for a while :(

Adi
KingOfNod
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:01    Post subject: sorry for the late response Reply with quote
Yes I do, mine had simply gone out, but I dont recommend using the anything but standard mw. Cranking these units up seems to overheat them some.

I use game adaptors like, ME101 wireless bridge, or and 802.11 b/g wireless bridge will hook up nicely! Any one with an external antenna, that comes off works for me, as I use outdoor antenna's at me clients site. Using a bridge will also allow me to hook up just one pc per client using the mac filtering! That way they can't use a router and leech off several connections for one price.

Being the only highspeed internet provider where I am is nice, there are over 300 homes here, and nothing but dialup. I hook a T-1 into the the wireless router and hookup the clients.

Greetings and cheers!

Also if you can find a spot that has no dsl, small towns usually are that way, there's your money!

For antenna's check out these web sites www.pacwireless.com or www.fab-corp.com and the old tried and true www.hyperlinktech.com
emmsii
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
But what can you tell about Asus WL-566gM performance compared to Asus WL-500G Premium and Buffalo WHR-HP-G54?

Which is the best one to get?
Cons and Pros?

Thanks! :)
duncantuna
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just posted this in another thread, but it's appropriate here too:

What I want to know is, what's the best router for long range.

Is it .. 802.11n .. 11g and MIMO .. or a plain 11b/g router that has high power, like the Senao 400mw AP (http://www.wlanparts.com/product/NCB-3220

.. now, you might not be able to load dd-wrt on the Senao .. but wouldn't an AP with 400mw blow the pants off a WRT54g or the WHR-HR-54g .. their stock mw is, what, 28 .. the Linksys can be ramped up, without much noise to about 84, but the Buffalo and its amp appears to disregard the higher mw settings of dd-wrt. (I have both routers.)

A 400mw AP just sounds like it'd have a tremendous range, well over the WRT54g and WHRs of the world. Right?

Anyone?
malves
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
duncantuna wrote:

Is it .. 802.11n .. 11g and MIMO .. or a plain 11b/g router that has high power, like the Senao 400mw AP (http://www.wlanparts.com/product/NCB-3220

.. now, you might not be able to load dd-wrt on the Senao .. but wouldn't an AP with 400mw blow the pants off a WRT54g or the WHR-HR-54g .. their stock mw is, what, 28 .. the Linksys can be ramped up, without much noise to about 84, but the Buffalo and its amp appears to disregard the higher mw settings of dd-wrt. (I have both routers.)

A 400mw AP just sounds like it'd have a tremendous range, well over the WRT54g and WHRs of the world. Right?

Anyone?

For real long range and only using stock firmware get the Bountiful Wifi BWRG1000. Full 1000 mW.
http://www.bountifulwifi.com/index.html

adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
malves wrote:
duncantuna wrote:

Anyone?

For real long range and only using stock firmware get the Bountiful Wifi BWRG1000. Full 1000 mW.
http://www.bountifulwifi.com/index.html

Looks like a beast of a router in terms of wireless performance, but what platform is it based on ? Is there any hope of making this work with DD-WRT ?

Adi
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: