QoS small-packet priority best practices?

Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 21:29    Post subject: QoS small-packet priority best practices? Reply with quote
I'm digging into my network; getting it set up, dialed in, tuned properly.
Quality of Service is probably one the biggest differentiators for a high-quality connection vs a mediocre connection. Bandwidth and throughput are no longer an issue for most people, but the amount of connected devices has skyrocketed, with each connected device sending its stupid little messages, making networks more and more congested.

Anyway, for QoS packet scheduling, we have the following options:
Code:

Prioritize small TCP-packets with the following flags:
 ACK    SYN    FIN    RST    ICMP

Any best practices here? Should I just select all of them?

Found this explanation of the different flags:
https://www.howtouselinux.com/post/tcp-flags

Finally how does QoS on end user devices and wifi access points work? Windows has QoS options, and WiFi access points have their own QoS options. Where/how does this work on the network? Are there benefits to be had? WiFi bufferbloat still hasn't been solved.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Without getting too deep in theory of TCP packet filtering, I only use SYN, FIN and RST, leaving ACK and ICMP unticked.
(See: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service)

The attached link above also mentions about important issues of nominal bandwidth allocation and priority precedence in QoS.

Using my case as example, I mainly use QoS priority sparingly for only specifically needed devices (using their 192.168.x.x/32 addresses) for the simple reason. Borrowing water as an analogy here. The volume of water delivered per set time (from the street) to a house should, preferably, cover the total volume of water needed from critical faucets, concurrently. Otherwise, QoS settings would only be a half-useful exercise. Cool

Furthermore, I am only familiar with the term QoS being referred to the router's priority assigned to traffic traversing through it. And it's mainly on outgoing packets, i.e. those leaving the router.

And finally, SFE is incompatible with QoS. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: