DD-WRT keeps rebooting with x86_64 build

jab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:30    Post subject: DD-WRT keeps rebooting with x86_64 build Reply with quote
Hello,

I have been testing the 12/30/23 x86_64 build for over two months now and I've been having issues with my router rebooting randomly, averaging around 1 reboot per 20 hours.

The computer is a custom build using mini-iTX motherboard Intel DQ77KB with CPU Intel Core i3-3220 at 3.3Ghz and 2 GB of RAM.

This motherboard has one Intel 82579LM gigabit NIC and one Intel 82574L gigabit NIC.

I added a 4-port RTL8168g/8111g NIC to provide for additional ports.

I have tested running DD-WRT from a USB stick as well as running from an mSATA 128GB drive. With either one, the reboots continue to happen.

I recently have added a 2.5 gigabit NIC based on Realtek RTL8125, but the reboots were happening before adding this NIC.

To rule out hardware issues, overheating, etc, I have left this computer running benchmarks, memory tests, etc, under Linux and Windows for days, no reboots at all.

I have also left this computer running DD-WRT *AND* disconnected from the network, and it runs for days without rebooting, so it only reboots while actively routing.

I have tried not using the RTL8168g/8111g NIC just to rule out this card having an issue, but reboots keep happening.

I can't see anything on the logs, only the router running fine (typical DHCP log messages) then all of the sudden the init messages of the router rebooting.

I tried sending logs to a remote server thinking I would be able to see something else, same problem, nothing can be seen in the logs.

Is there any debugging that I can enable in order to troubleshoot where these reboots are coming from?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you!
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it's a Linux 6.1 build, disable Shortcut Forwarding Engine (SFE) and upgrade to the current release.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
jab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
If it's a Linux 6.1 build, disable Shortcut Forwarding Engine (SFE) and upgrade to the current release.

Thanks so much!!

Disabling SFE fixed the reboots. Router has been up for more than 85 hours without reboots.
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you kidding me? Shortcut forwarding engine has been my random reboot issue for over a month now? Going to be turning that off to see if the system stays up and running. It was getting very annoying just watching a youtube video and bam the system reboots out of nowhere with no rhyme or reason.
Trelleboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 21:21    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote
Shortcut Forwarding Engine disable that and no internet. So this is a great solution never any reboot.

Please give me another solution;-)
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey when you do disable Shortcut forwarding engine. The Wan connection will go down while it shuts down the SFE and restarts the DHCP for the WAN. Just give it a few minutes or power cycle the modem and wait about 5 mins for reestablish your connection. Restart the DD-WRT system when you power cycle the modem to reconfigure the IP address and refreshes everything.

I have disabled the SFE and had 0 reboots over 3 days uptime and no problems with the internet connection.
Trelleboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not working. I have VPN is that's why. This is so frustrating I need to find a solution fast this reboot circus is too much.
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try rolling back to a version that was using a older Kernel. Something from September of last year will do. Then apply the newer versions until you hit the one that the problems started with. Ever since he switched to the the 6.* kernel it's been a circus. With stuff breaking or partially working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: