System disconnect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Machforr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Sp1derman:
Crap... eth0 is onboard.. I can't change it. (I was sure it was intel!)
I do have an intel NIC around, too, but it does not have a low-profile bracket. And adding an NIC invalidates my license.

The tests:
At this point I narrowed down the disconnections to the work-issued VPN. Booting the second system no longer kicks me off the connection if the VPN is not running on my system. The log gives no messages when that occurs. Booting my system when the other one is up and online no longer kicks it off of it either. That might have been due to the bad 1st install or a bad setting somewhere that wasn't default or both, on TOP of having my VPN running on work days

I can't think of what I can do to solve the VPN issue as I doubt the I.T. people at work would have a solution too.
I got more things to try out before going that route.
Sponsor
Machforr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like the default setting is what works best.

Things have currently stabilized and perform as intended, so long as I don't have to use the VPN.

It doesn't hurt that the modem has been changed as well for a small upgrade to the connection.
Right now I'm keeping a close eye on the telnet feed from the router and it's all looking good, too.

So it seems that my woes were a mix of so many things that there was not a definitive solution to it. (Bad install, config changes done too fast/too many times?, modem that never worked well, VPN...)

Thanks again for all the advice and help. It's a huge plus to know how my system works Smile
Sp1derman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
so there are no disconnects as long as you don't use VPN?

What happens if you use VPN only on one PC?
If that is working, what happens if you then start VPN on other PC?

Your modem and a lot of other modems similar to yours seem to make tons of problems in Canada.
Machforr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
With or without VPN, there are no disconnects anymore.

ISP provided an upgrade to my connection at not extra cost which included a new modem.
I still require the router to distribute the signal and the computers don't kick one another off the internet anymore.

It seems my suspicion of the modem being the root of all the troubles was correct after all. I have no idea why, but it was.

I haven't fiddled with the DD-WRT settings more than I needed to and since things are working full-speed at near-default settings.

Hopefully no one else here has to go through that weird rigamarole of issues with the same type of cable modem and with any luck this experience can help them.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: