TL-WR1043ND v2 WAN port not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
petkoff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 15:03    Post subject: TL-WR1043ND v2 WAN port not working Reply with quote
Hi,
I have searched the forum, and not only, but did not find solution, so i decide to ask here:

I have my old router TL-WR1043ND v2 still working and decide to use it at a place where needs a not so big, and it fits perfectly. Also decided to flash it with DD-WRT to have some more options and control than with the stock firmware. And here comes the problem: WAN port is some kind not working. Laptop is connected with lan cable to one of lan1-lan4 ports. Wan port is connected to switch at my home network. Both indicators for wan and the relevant to lan to laptop are blinking for connection/activity. Also the indicator at the switch where the wan port is connected is blinking. But TL-WR1043ND wont connect to internet through my home network. It shows WAN IP: 0.0.0.0 when wan is set to automatic DHCP. When I set it to static IP and configure it - the same: no connection through wan port to outside network. I have made no other changes to configuration, just as it comes from flash from stock to dd-wrt. Flash back to stock tp-link - everything is fine, work as expected - by default wan is set to dynamic DHCP - gets IP, getway, dns. I have tried different versions of dd-wrt, also openwrt - the same: wan indicator shows activity(blinks) but not working. At TAB network switch shows lan1-lan4 at vlan1 and wan at vlan2. Also recognizes when cable is plugged or unplugged to relevant port - lits red or green. Any ideas what may be the problem or am I doing something wrong? Every flash I have done, I do it through web interface. I thought it`s a popular router and many people are flashed it - if this is a major problem there should be some info.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi and Welcome to the Forum....
When you need a help...First rule is to provide router / model, current firmware / number...and ect...It helps a lot
What also helps is more details on your config...PIC's of your basic set up page and services and ect...every detail helps..a lot...

For the record..DO NOT USE THE BUILDS RECOMMENDED IN ROUTER DATABASE its with capital letters even there !

My 1043v2 works well and its rock solid...either with dynamic or static DHCP...
If its a user error/config error than you can fix it...if not and its a hardware failure than nothing can be done...

Make sure router is in Gateway mode...as many people somehow configure it in Router mode by mistake..Razz

@In general this router does support OpenWRT as well DDWRT (works way better with it)
If done the flash and switch in between many times in the past, all via WEB interface..but while moving form OpenWRT to DDWRT i used a stripped stock firmware, not that its a must but it is a routine that i followed...and than from stock firmware first factory to ddwrt, than the web update file from DDWRT interface...

last build is 55009 !
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2024/

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 57200 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 57200 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 57200 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your home network is on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, you need to set your TL-WR1043ND v2 LAN IP to 192.168.2.1/24. The only other reason why your TL-WR1043ND v2 WAN IP wouldn't be assigned besides being in anything other than gateway mode is if your ISP or upstream DHCP server is out of leases to hand out.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
petkoff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi again,
Thanks for replies.
At the start this night the router was with dd-wrt 54914. Reset to factory -> flash back to stock with webrevert. Then downgrade to stock firmware 3.15.31 and reset with 30/30/30 rule. As is seen from screenshots by default the wan port is set to dynamic IP and gets IP,DNS, Gateway... tp link is 192.168.1.1, home network is 192.168.0.xx. Then flash again to dd-wrt, first with factory to dd-wrt and after that web update with build 55009. Aaaaand no change -> wan port is blinking, set to automatic DHCP(by default), wan IP 0.0.0.0. the router acts as Gateway.... but no connection. If it is a hardware problem, why it is working normal with its original tp-link software?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you enabled anything on the Switch Config page, and it wasn't enabled by default, disable and reboot.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
As dale_gribble39 noted above do not fiddle with the switch config page and ect..try with default settings to make it work...also disable Shortcut Forwarding Engine (SFE) at basic set up page..than reboot..than if not working again try to give it a static lease...
at 'services' page make sure DHCP is set to LAN&WLAN as by default is set to WAN...

Last 30/30/30 is a bad idea on this router...as it sends it in TFTP mode...do not do it as its only for old routers LinksysWRT models...

Ive found that, on some routers DHCP is not giving dynamic IP addresses and you'd need to set them manually...unfortunately it never happened with my 1043v2 on DDWRT...

as its not visible, but it is important..make sure NTP time is on...enabled...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 57200 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 57200 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 57200 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
petkoff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes NTP is enabled, but since router does not have internet access can't get the right time. At switch side I don't do anything, just watching info. Also set DHCP to LAN&WLAN at service tab, and SFE. No change. Yesterday I took the router to the office and a colleague watch something through SSH... Hardware looks OK, but it is some kind of not proper/correct communication with/to WAN port. When I set static IP to WAN port it doesn't appear in the outside network. Can be this problem because of little hardware differences or something like that even on the same HW version due to production is made for different world regions US and Canada/South America/Europe/East Europe and middle East...?
petkoff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found these topics:
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11475
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2584&p=12070#p12070
https://dev.archive.openwrt.org/ticket/11898

The guy says: "I have multiple TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND V2 router on hand and I have only found one which exhibit this behaviour." Lol. Am I the other lucky one with router with this behaviour?
"The newer routers come with a boot loader that disables the wan port on boot so that it doesn't "leak" during the power up time, it then gets enabled by the TP-Link firmware." - is there something true?
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bootloader could be different..as you said...there was a way to check it...

The only odd difference i have among all my x3 1043v2 is 2 of them have tftp, but one doesn't have tftp so, i have to serial on it...if so..

all my 1043v2 are same ver 2.1 (mostly sold in EU)

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE

Last edited by Alozaros on Fri Jan 26, 2024 16:55; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wouldn't surprise me if there is a fix via serial or CLI voodoo with swconfig. How one managed to have a bootloader on the v2 that does the same screwy crap as the v1(v1.8), I dunno. They are not the same SoC. Maybe it's a matter of flashing newer or older or different market version of stock first.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if there is a fix via serial or CLI voodoo with swconfig. How one managed to have a bootloader on the v2 that does the same screwy crap as the v1(v1.8), I dunno. They are not the same SoC. Maybe it's a matter of flashing newer or older or different market version of stock first.

yep i was thinking while on DDWRT what would be the output of swconfig switch0 show
to see if WAN port is there...where it should have to be...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have to do a `swconfig list` first. WAN port may not be listed. What is the WAN port assignment on yours, Aloz? eth0, eth1, or vlan2? That is, if you are using wired and not a wireless WAN... I may have to dig out one of mine and look. Not too keen on mucking around with serial, but I can.

----------------------
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
swconfig list shows only switch type/model
Found: switch0 - ag71xx-mdio.0

WAN Port Assignment - is eth0

swconfig dev switch0 show

VLAN 2:
vid: 2
ports: 5 6

------------------------------------
Port 5:
mib: ???
enable_eee: 0
disable: 0
igmp_snooping: 0
vlan_prio: 0
pvid: 2
link: port:5 link:up speed:1000baseT full-duplex txflow rxflow eee100 eee1000 auto
Port 6:
mib: ???
enable_eee: ???
disable: ???
igmp_snooping: 0
vlan_prio: 0
pvid: 2
link: port:6 link:up speed:1000baseT full-duplex txflow rxflow
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
swconfig dev switch0 help
switch0: ag71xx-mdio.0(Atheros AR8327), ports: 7 (cpu @ 0), vlans: 4096
--switch
Attribute 1 (int): enable_vlan (Enable VLAN mode)
Attribute 2 (int): leds (turn leds on or off)
Attribute 3 (none): reset_mibs (Reset all MIB counters)
Attribute 4 (int): enable_mirror_rx (Enable mirroring of RX packets)
Attribute 5 (int): enable_mirror_tx (Enable mirroring of TX packets)
Attribute 6 (int): mirror_monitor_port (Mirror monitor port)
Attribute 7 (int): mirror_source_port (Mirror source port)
Attribute 8 (int): disable_all_leds (Disable all switch LEDs)
Attribute 9 (int): arl_age_time (ARL age time (secs))
Attribute 10 (string): arl_table (Get ARL table)
Attribute 11 (none): flush_arl_table (Flush ARL table)
Attribute 12 (int): igmp_snooping (Enable IGMP Snooping)
Attribute 13 (int): igmp_v3 (Enable IGMPv3 support)
Attribute 14 (none): apply (Activate changes in the hardware)
Attribute 15 (none): reset (Reset the switch)
--vlan
Attribute 1 (int): vid (VLAN ID (0-4094))
Attribute 2 (ports): ports (VLAN port mapping)
--port
Attribute 1 (none): reset_mib (Reset single port MIB counters)
Attribute 2 (string): mib (Get port's MIB counters)
Attribute 3 (int): enable_eee (Enable EEE PHY sleep mode)
Attribute 4 (int): disable (Disable Port)
Attribute 5 (none): flush_arl_table (Flush port's ARL table entries)
Attribute 6 (int): igmp_snooping (Enable port's IGMP Snooping)
Attribute 7 (int): vlan_prio (Port VLAN default priority (VLAN PCP) (0-7))
Attribute 8 (int): pvid (Primary VLAN ID)
Attribute 9 (unknown): link (Get port link information)

mine has x4 vlans on it all set via swconfig commands, start up script...and its in use ATM to be able to reset it..and check again, but it wont be different...(for the record i have not reset/recompile this router for ages) in my case all works..with 55009...

P.S. ok just manage to reset it and all works ok with default settings that come after reboot

Configuration Type
Connection Type
Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Connection Uptime
0:04:01
IPv4 Address
192.168.66.103/24
Gateway
IPv4 DNS 0
Remaining Lease Time
0 days 23:55:59

WAN port is still eth0

switch tab is also showing by default...may be it shouldn't but all seams to be ok
WAN is vlan 2
LAN is vlan 1
as always...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would compare the WAN and LAN MAC addresses.

Finally, it is also possible to use a different port for WAN.

Assuming eth0 is not working properly.
Then it is possible to leave eth0 unconfigured and use only eth1 with VLANs.

VLAN configuration via GUI - 2 CPU ports (R7800, EA8500 etc)

Routers
Marvell OCTEON TX2 - QHora-322 - OpenWrt 23.05.3 - Gateway
Qualcomm IPQ8065 - R7800 - DD-WRT - WAP
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agreed. MAC addresses could be askew, but it could also still be whichever u-boot version is present. Luckily, I have not run into this problem on any TL-WR1043* devices in inventory, but at the same time, I wish I had a 'problem child' to tinker with to figure out the best solution.

----------------------
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: