WRT54Gv8-Client Mode-Dest Host Unrchabl & PortFwd No Go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
TechNoid445
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 14:44    Post subject: WRT54Gv8-Client Mode-Dest Host Unrchabl & PortFwd No Go Reply with quote
Hello all.

SHORT VERSION:
WRT54G v8 in Client Mode when trying to ping the Internet causes "Destination Host Unreachable". Also, Port Forwarding not working.

DETAILED VERSION:
My hardware is WRT54G v8 which I'll refer to as the "client router". I am trying to get Client Mode to work so that I can pickup nearby open WIFIs. I have followed the Tutorial exactly with the exception of the static routing section as I am not interested in being able to route from the remote host router to my client router.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

I initially flashed DD-WRT v24 RC5 Micro and had the "Destination Host Unreachable" problem when trying to ping the Internet. However, pinging the remote host router worked just fine. I reflashed with v24 RC4 Micro and had the same exact result. In the Tutorial where it suggests to uncheck1,2,3,4 and W checkboxes in VLAN0 and VLAN1, I have performed that too. Multiple reboots, multiple restore factory settings, and continuous pinging every step of the way.

I see a few other posts regarding this problem, for example this one:
http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22619

In DD-WRT my Signal Quality varies from 1% - 8%, on average about 5%. When I connect with my laptop to the same open remote router the signal is also low but I am able to surf the Internet just fine.

I reflashed with v24 RC3 Micro and now I can ping the Internet (off and on) but I have discovered 2 problems:
1) Port forwarding is not working (haven't tried P translation, all I need is P forwarding)
2) For unknown reason the client router seems to drop connection to the remote router and therefore the Internet too.
It's weird: Pinging the Internet may be 90% solid then I connect to the web interface of DD-WRT on my client router and just do a refresh or change pages and suddenly ping fails to Internet and host router. Upon reboot of client router it may or may not reconnect!

Can anyone help me get Client Mode working with Port Forwarding working?

EDIT:
I read on the forum that the Gateway Address has to be 0.0.0.0 (assuming the WIRELESS gateway), and this is a bug that has been corrected in the next release (post v24 RC5). I will try tonight and advise!
Sponsor
TechNoid445
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
For those interested, I have it all working! For those of you searching for why you can ping your remote router successfully, but cannot ping the Internet because you receive "Destination Host Unreachable", I have confirmed the rumor:

I reflashed to V24 RC5 Micro, followed the Client Mode tutorial, with the exception of the Router section that discusses how to setup static routes (because I don't need this functionality); I entered Gateway 0.0.0.0 NOT in the Wireless section, but in the Network section below the Wirelss section. This is the key. Zero the GW.

I also setup port forwarding and confirmed that it too works.

Now I have to figure out why my connection to the remote router drops which I will make a new Forum thread for if I see fit.

I encourage everyone to share your fixes as I spent 2 nights (about 8 hours) battling this problem until I thouroughly read the forums and found the fix.

Also, can we have the Client Mode tutorial updated with this fix, even if just to comment that it applies to RC4 & RC5 v24...thanks.
teclis22
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aloah !

Just played around with v24 pre-RC5

I set it up according to the wiki turtorial but as the original poster of this thread ignored the static routs of the host router as the feature is uninteresting.

When all was finished i got the error situation

ping www.google.de was resolved correctly to the ip but i kept getting:

Destination Host Unreachable

I was unsure what the OP meant but i guess he meant to ZERO the default Gateway entry on Setup->Basic Setup

Network Settings - Router IP - Gateway

At least that is what did the trick for me. WPA + AES seems to work as well.

Regards

tec

and thanks OP for giving the solution to the problem I was about to rip my last remaining hair out.

1x Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N in Reserve (still looking for that on ebay)

all units running DD-WRT v3.0-r44187 std
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: