R9000 sfp+ cooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
i8stones
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:25    Post subject: R9000 sfp+ cooling Reply with quote
Here's what i did to keep the sfp+ port nice and cool. i used an old gpu cooler and a old router power port and its power supply. some plastic cut off the doner router and used super glue to hold position. just wanted to share.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep those SFP's tend to heat up badly...as well in general R9000 (XR700) both units the same, sharing the same overheating issues on the radio units as well SFP port...in general bad heatsink design...
Somewhere around there was a pic of R9000 with liquid cooling form a PC...as long as it works and meets the needs...
Out of the box...my R9000 is placed in a airconditioned room, with an extra fan on the top and its fins... but im not using SFP port nor 5Ghz radio...hope it will live longer Smile

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
i8stones
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
yep those SFP's tend to heat up badly...as well in general R9000 (XR700) both units the same, sharing the same overheating issues on the radio units as well SFP port...in general bad heatsink design...
Somewhere around there was a pic of R9000 with liquid cooling form a PC...as long as it works and meets the needs...
Out of the box...my R9000 is placed in a airconditioned room, with an extra fan on the top and its fins... but im not using SFP port nor 5Ghz radio...hope it will live longer Smile

Oh man liquid cooled? Now that's an extreme mod and awesome, i must find this.

My next mod I'd like to do is remove the top of the cage to the sfp+ port for more direct flow access instead of those holes. I did my mod because i saw these transceivers get hot in some reviews.

My room gets warm even with ac, no insulation in the walls or between the roof and ceiling. about to get some soon though.

i want to find out if i can remove the heatsinks to use thermal paste and reuse factory mounts. However in the dd-wrt gui under status and router my temps haven't been higher than 45c on the hottest part of the day. But i plan on building a box that keeps all my network stuff at an optimal temperature and more noise isolated.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like your tweak of using a fan to cool SFP+ unit of R9000. It shows you have plenty of DIY initiatives. Very Happy

But in case you're still wanting to find a perfect solution to keep your R9000 SFP+ cool, consider using Fiber Optic Cable with corresponding transceiver units. Apparently, it produces significantly LESS heat than copper wire connectors.

One thing about Fiber Optic cable though, its selection with relevant Transceivers can be rather confusing. So choose carefully.

Here is a primer. https://www.apalrd.net/posts/2023/network_fiber/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: