Reconfigure settings after upgrade/gremlins strategy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
seedsca
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 18:13    Post subject: Reconfigure settings after upgrade/gremlins strategy Reply with quote
Router Model
Linksys WRT3200ACM

Firmware Version
DD-WRT v3.0-r53445 std (08/27/23)

Hi, I'm having some issues with the router acting up with wireless settings and performance changing (gremlins). I want to upgrade, but have a decent amount of configurations to save/reconfigure.

How do you go about manually reconfiguring? I'm thinking of taking screenshots, but just wanted to know how others remember these things, if their brain won't Smile

Thanks for any ideas to make this an easier transition!
Sponsor
reflashgordon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I start by copying things such as my lengthy DNS options, VPN certs/keys/options, and firewall and startup commands to a text file. Those ‘big blocks’ are easy to copy out of the webpage, and you can just as easily copy and paste them back in again later.

Then I use Snagit to make a video, and I go through all of the tabs and scroll up and down while it’s recording. You can go quite fast as you pause the video when playing it back later.

I used to do screenshots but I find video to be much faster to make and easier to refer to later.

Edit: remember to expand all sections, for example the advanced wireless options, to be sure you’ve captured everything in your video.
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like the screenshot method using Firefox. Once or twice a year or if I make significant changes I take a screenshot of every setup page and save to a "Setup" folder.

Make sure each page is fully extended (Advanced Settings = checked, etc) Right click the page, select "Take a Screenshot", select "Save Full Page" (upper right), click the Download button when it appears (can take a few seconds) and select a folder to save images in. Lets me open each page in a viewer while having UI open to check/change settings changing back and forth as needed.

See attachment.

Edit: I name each screenshot the name of the UI tab which allows me to save only pages I have edited without the need to redo ALL tab shots. I have moved old setting shots to a second folder JUST IN CASE I want to revert to the previous settings. In a day or two, if I'm happy with the new settings I can either delete the old shots or put them in a dated folder for future reference or reversion.

All shots in my DD-WRT Setup folder are always my current settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: