Forcing link speed and duplex settings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Mk.558
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 17:40    Post subject: Forcing link speed and duplex settings Reply with quote
Hi.

I want to first compliment the interface style of DD-WRT as it is clean, relatively simple and contrasts very positively to the majority of overdone cluttered inefficient "UI" we have these days.

Anyways. I have some old computers that have Ethernet cards that do NOT like Auto MDI-X speed negotiation. When you plug a 10BASE-T cable into them, the green LINK light just blinks because it doesn't understand this fancy smanchy fast auto link negotiation we have these days. Possible solutions include: Hardware modification (only viable for certain cards/models/types/...), obtaining an old 10BASE-T hub as a go-between, or something else.

What I want to do is configure my WRT54G v2.2 to force 10BASE-T Full Duplex on say, 2 ports, and then perform a bridge function back to my main router via either Ethernet or WiFi, as my main router does not appear to have any way to force a specific link speed, and this offers me a way to future-proof these old machines in a way.

Build: DD-WRT v24 (05/24/08) mini - build 9526
Model: Linksys WRT54G v2.2 s/n CDF7
Operating Mode: Default for now, with wireless OFF
Screenshot: Shown below with VLAN settings.

I think there's a way to force the speed settings with VLAN but I didn't get that to work. Could it be that I set up the VLAN wrong? I don't know. I tried putting port 1 and 4 on a different VLAN, turning off Auto-Negotiate, and turning off 100Mbit speed. Then I'd use $ ethtool to see what the link speed was and it was the same. I know it was in a different VLAN because I couldn't access 192.168.1.1. Yet $ ethtool was still reporting 100Mbit/s, Auto negotiation and MDI-X on, full duplex.

edit: I tried doing my homework, searching around the web, poking through the FAQs, searching this forum is difficult owing to the literal flood of results and information you get all over this site is like trying to fill a teacup with a firehose. Better than the information I have for my main internet router which is a 15 page pathetic excuse of a "manual". I found this post earlier but that seems unresolved.

mk558-2.jpg
 Description:
wrt54g v2.2 vlan
 Filesize:  268.6 KB
 Viewed:  4009 Time(s)

mk558-2.jpg

Sponsor
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
You cannot force link-speeds by only making one-sided settings.

Auto-negotiation must be activated or deactivated on both sides.

If you set a manual speed on one side, you must also set the speed manually on the other side and deactivate auto-negotiation on both sides.

with a 10base-t card you do not have to deactivate auto-negotiation - because it does not support auto-negotiation. Cool

But with your shown 1000Mbit card in the PC

And no idea if the switch config tab works properly on the WRT54 - the last reports were rather negative.

It works on other current routers such as the r7800 (I have fully tested the port stuff on that platform)

VLAN configuration via GUI - 2 CPU ports (R7800, EA8500 etc)

Routers
Marvell OCTEON TX2 - QHora-322 - OpenWrt 23.05.2 - Gateway
Qualcomm IPQ8065 - R7800 - DD-WRT - WAP
Mk.558
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried telnetting into the router and parsing the dmesg output and found nothing constructive. I think you only get the tool (is it swconfig?) on non-Broadcom SoCs. I think the only way to access the Layer 1 settings is via Telnet interface but I don't know where that would be. Even when I set up the VLAN on the router for 10BASE-T Full it would only communicate over 100BASE-T.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Newer Broadcom routers with newer dd-wrt builds also use swconfig.

But firstly you are using a 15 year old firmware build and secondly the hardware is even older and has limited hardware resources.

Routers
Mk.558
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
...Is there a more suitable firmware version that will run on it? I saw the build date when I flashed it, and was mildly concerned, but the ... the wiki said to do that ...
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, the v2.2 wiki says 14929, but to answer your question, the current release is 11-09-2023-r53939/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Mk.558
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmmm...so it does. I'll flash to the newest firmware and see what happens.
Mk.558
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
New firmware flashed.

Still doesn't work.

Image 1 shows a system connected to Port 2, and also tested Port 3 in case Port 1 is actually Port 4 and that kind of thing. The connection is still 100Mbps. I'm too smoothbrained to figure out how to bridge the VLAN correctly so it won't be running self-assigned internal IPs but the point is not that I don't know how to set up VLANs correctly (which is true) but that trying to configure it to adjust Layer 1 information (speed/duplex settings) doesn't work. I also plugged Port 2, then later Port 3 in to my test machine which only takes 10BASE-T and yeap -- blinking green light telling me there's an interface/protocol problem.

Image 2 shows me fooling around with Telnet and the VLAN settings. Telnet was interesting because there's no "help" command to show you valid or most common valid stuff to run, so I had to $ ls through all the common directories to see what I could run. $ swconfig was nowhere to be found. Upon some elemental investigation, I think $ swconfig is basically a telnet compatible interface to using the browser GUI to set up VLANs. The $ ethtool window you see is where I had it hooked up to Port 2 (and tested Port 3) and ran $ ethtool to see what the speed was -- yeap, still 100Mbps.

routerissue1.png
 Description:
OS X 10.4
 Filesize:  204.41 KB
 Viewed:  3835 Time(s)

routerissue1.png

routerissue2.png
 Description:
Linux Mint 17
 Filesize:  265.62 KB
 Viewed:  3835 Time(s)

routerissue2.png

ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
you may have missed it, but i already wrote - that we have recently had several reports saying that the switch config tab does not work on wrt54 routers

You don't need to change the VLAN assignment at all, just auto-negotiation and port speed (if it would work on your router)

I'm also not interested in what your ethtool shows on the PC, apparently you didn't read my other post.
auto-negotiation is absolutely necessary on both sides, otherwise it won't work at all.
again auto-negotiation must be activated or deactivated on both sides
If you disable auto-negotiation on the router and leave it enabled on the PC then the PC will not connect at all or if the driver is doing strange things it may connect at the wrong speed.
If the card continues to connect at 100mbit without any problems, this is an indication that auto-negotation is still active on both sides.

As I said, everything works on ipq806x routers and some other Atheros routers.
I tested it myself and Brainslayer added manual settings in the switch driver for me at the beginning of the year (the switch driver did not support this before).

Personally, I'm not going to invest any work in 20-year-old hardware - it's a waste of time.

sorry

if anyone knows of any broadcom routers where everything works, please add them here

Routers
Mk.558
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
"And no idea if the switch config tab works properly on the WRT54 - the last reports were rather negative." I did catch this statement the first time but in my defense, it is a little vague: also, there's many different types of WRT54G models. Only way to know for sure is to test it myself, no?

Is the speed configuration on both sides a router-to-machine specific requirement? Because I just did a test whereby one machine was set up with Automatic and the other machine was set for something different than 100BASE-T -- in my case, 10BASE-T Full. I ran a FTP file transfer from one machine to the other, with one machine set as Automatic and the other "not 100BASE-T Full Duplex" and the automatic setting downgraded to match no problem.

I respect your opinion more than my own as this is a subject matter you seem to have more experience with than I do. But as I don't have a way to set port speeds on any of the routers I have, I can't contradict your info other than to say what I said above, if you would like me to prove it, I have screenshots and a terminal dump of the FTP session. $ethtools did work correctly in that instance. I believe, but can be proven incorrect, that this isn't like RS232 where not only is there no auto-negotiation but if all the parameters don't match then you end up with garbled information.
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Boot the factory firmware on the 54g and see if you can do anything with it. If you can't, then don't expect anything from dd-wrt. But I would be very surprised if the factory firmware failed since 23 years ago when the 54g came out there were still people running 10BaseT Ethernet.

When you plug an old 10BaseT card into an autonegotiation port the port will lock to 10BaseT half duplex. At least, it will on every 10/100 antique switch I ever did this one.

Ebay is full of 10/100 4 and 8 port ethernet switches that should have no problems with a 10BaseT ethernet card.

I used to have a thinnet network setup just for fun. And I remember running the old 3com ISA cards with the dual RJ45 jacks and the AUI that you plugged a thinnet transceiver into. NCSA Telnet and digging around for a DOS packet driver for your network card was the ticket.

I think the last time I used any 10BaseT gear in production was about 5 years ago at a customer, a rock quarry. They had a remote printer that only had a CAT-3 telephone cable going from the main office to the printer they had been running RS232 on. A lightning strike took out the RS232 (it wasn't even a direct strike it was a cloud-to-cloud strike but the EMF pulse was strong enough to induce enough power to fry the boards) They were tearing their hair out because they could not find a new printer anymore that had serial on it, and I said "just put one of your new printers out there" They were like "we tried it didn't work" and I'm like "let me show you how it's done" So I went home and dragged out the last of my 10BaseT only ethernet hubs and setup one in the printer shack and one in the server room, over the CAT-3 and volia, networking. slow, and half-duplex, but it worked.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Mk.558

No, this is not router specific, you should take a look at auto-negotiation, which works as follows.

auto-negotiation (you know the meaning of negotiation?) is a mechanism in which two connected devices negotiate transmission parameters such as speed, duplex mode and flow control.

In the process, the connected devices share their capabilities and choose the highest transmission mode they both support

This can only work if both devices have auto-negotiation.

If one device uses auto-negotiation and the other does not then parallel detection is used.
However, parallel detection cannot recognize duplex mode or flowcontrol and in principle selects half-duplex = duplex mismatch

So again auto-negotation only works if it is active on both sides.

and I will not write this a fourth time

Routers
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
@Mk.558

and I will not write this a fourth time

Then don't because it's wrong. While what you describe is accurate for every ethernet interface above half duplex 10BaseT, the OP is working with 10BaseT and things operate differently in that world.

Remember that Nway auto negotiation was designed when full duplex/half duplex 100BaseT cards came out. Your ancestors were not stupid. They knew perfectly well that a lot of these Nway cards would be plugging into older fixed-speed half duplex 10BaseT gear as things transitioned over. Every Nway implementation I've ever worked with has a carveout for the dinosaur fixed speed half duplex 10BaseT ethernet ports.

The OP's problem is he's fixated on this idea that he's gonna get full duplex 10BaseT on some antique piece of kit that is very likely not full duplex capable. Full duplex 10BaseT was only on the market a short time and mostly did not work even if you forced both sides full duplex. They either didn't understand the Nway standard or it was draft-Nway or whatever. The only time I ever saw stuff like that work was when both sides used ethernet chips from the same vendor and both sides were 10BaseT-only that was switchable between half and full duplex.

It would sure help if the OP actually stated WHAT antiques he was working with. I've had plenty of experience with that stuff before but I suspect the OP is too embarrassed to admit he's got a PC XT with an ISA card in hand and he's a cheapskate. Every reputable 10/100 (not gigabit) auto negotiation hub I ever worked with properly handled non-Nway 10BaseT cards. The 54G is a 10/100 port device. It should have no issues at all with a non-autonegotiating 10BaseT card.

When gigabit came out, so much of it was made cheaply in Asia that I saw a resurgence of negotiation problems. Especially on cheaper Dell PC's that came with gigabit. Unless they were plugged into another gigabit switch they would fall flat on their face if plugged into some 10/100 switches. Sometimes they would clock down to 10BaseT speeds other times not connect at all. But this was because the cheap Asian gear took shortcuts as it always does and they'd save a half cent or avoid some patent by not implementing exact according to the standard or de-facto standard. They make so much of it that whatever broken thing they implement soon changes the defacto implementations.

You need to have worked with this stuff and seen how it's designers implemented it to know. The standards documents are merely a standard, nobody gets punished if they violate them just a bit, and if whoever is violating them is big enough, they can force it their way if there's some piece of the standard they don't like.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
no, what i write is correct, read it again and the discussion is over. Rolling Eyes

if you don't believe it then google will certainly help you

Quote:
Then don't because it's wrong. While what you describe is accurate for every ethernet interface above half duplex 10BaseT, the OP is working with 10BaseT and things operate differently in that world.

Can you make up your mind? first it's wrong then accurate again

besides, it's not about some ominous 10Base-T device but about a 1000BASE-T card in a PC...

The OP is of the opinion that he can validate the port status of the router with the card.

Simply set some stuff on the router and the card in the PC is supposed to recognize everything thanks to auto-negotiation - which is defacto impossible.

Routers
Mk.558
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
tedm wrote:

I used to have a thinnet network setup just for fun. And I remember running the old 3com ISA cards with the dual RJ45 jacks and the AUI that you plugged a thinnet transceiver into. NCSA Telnet and digging around for a DOS packet driver for your network card was the ticket.

yeah my cards are not THAT old but very close. One has AUI / 10BASE-T and the other has AUI / 10BASE-2 / 10BASE-T. Did people usually use the AUI for thinnet in your experience? All my research has generally indicated you A) Used it for a 10BASE-5 thicknet drop cable, B) you used it with a 10BASE-T transceiver after 10BASE-T became more common. The first Apple network cards (Apple EtherTalk NB and EtherTalk Interface Card) had AUI / 10BASE-2. Then they got infected with the Not Invented Here syndrome and crammed AUI into AAUI but by that time (Quadra 700/900 was first to have it) people were on the 10BASE-T road.

When you say factory firmware, is v4 OK? I poked around on archive.org for the old Linksys downloads, but they redirect to an FTP server. I then poked around on this forum but I have to watch out for the GS model firmware, I assume. I then poked around the internet and found nothing that stood out except v4 firmware.

tedm wrote:

It would sure help if the OP actually stated WHAT antiques he was working with. I've had plenty of experience with that stuff before but I suspect the OP is too embarrassed to admit he's got a PC XT with an ISA card in hand and he's a cheapskate. Every reputable 10/100 (not gigabit) auto negotiation hub I ever worked with properly handled non-Nway 10BaseT cards. The 54G is a 10/100 port device. It should have no issues at all with a non-autonegotiating 10BaseT card.

Embarrassed? Nay, proud! Mr. Green Back in my day we had mercury delay line memory and had to punch in the bits manually, by hand, at night with the lights off! That's if we were lucky!

No but really it's a Macintosh SE/30 with a Asante MacCon 30i card (with an online IRC session) and an Asante NuBUS card for a Macintosh IIci. I do have an Asante 10/100 NuBUS card but it doesn't work (but did in the past). (Shown below. Also shown is a Radius Rocket 33. That's a special card.)

Anyways I have no problem using half-duplex. Problem is that I can't tell if it's half duplex or not because the router control windows of the routers I have don't show the link speed/duplex on 10BASE-T stuff. I have had a router in the past that did and it identified it as half-duplex. Doesn't matter. What does matter is the router SHOULD be able to sense something and just default to 10BASE-T half duplex but it isn't. This has been known as an issue with these old cards because a number of newer routers do not do Auto MDI properly and that causes the old card to freak out. I was hoping to override the router port speed manually on say, two ports for my two old machines, and life can move on, but not so. I suspect that is because the Layer 1 stuff is handled by the ROMs or hardware chips and not the firmware. I don't know.

I do know that some people have done good with something like a modern GL.iNet GL-AR300M (which are cheap on ebay) and I would use that -- but it only has 1 LAN port which doesn't do me much good.

As for proof that you do not need to set up auto-negotiation on both sides, I have 3 articles here. First is a FTP terminal session dump. The target machine is a Mac mini G4 running OS X Tiger. The client machine is a ThinkPad T420 running Linux Mint 17. The Tiger box was set to Auto Negotiation and started off the client machine with auto-negotiation on. Then as you see with the $ ethtool setting I changed it to 10BASE-T full duplex, left the Tiger box completely untouched and it transferred properly at the lower speed.

Code:
hailstone@hailstone ~ $ ftp 192.168.1.129
Connected to 192.168.1.129.
220 icecubeTA8.local FTP server (tnftpd 20061217) ready.
Name (192.168.1.129:hailstone): icecube
331 Password required for icecube.
Password:
230-
    Welcome to Darwin!
230 User icecube logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
total 1
-rw-r--r--   1 icecube  icecube      3 May 25  2022 .CFUserTextEncoding
-rw-r--r--   1 icecube  icecube  12292 Oct  4 16:57 .DS_Store
drwx------  95 icecube  icecube   3230 Oct  4 16:56 .Trash
-rw-------   1 icecube  icecube   2321 Oct  4 12:55 .bash_history
-rw-r--r--   1 icecube  icecube    506 Oct  4 15:59 .basilisk_ii_prefs
drwxr-xr-x   5 icecube  icecube    170 Sep 27  2022 .dvdcss
drwx------  16 icecube  icecube    544 Oct  4 17:46 Desktop
drwx------  10 icecube  icecube    340 Mar 30  2023 Documents
drwx------  29 icecube  icecube    986 Mar 19  2023 Library
drwx------   3 icecube  icecube    102 May 25  2022 Movies
drwx------   5 icecube  icecube    170 May 29  2022 Music
drwx------   6 icecube  icecube    204 Jan 15  2023 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x   4 icecube  icecube    136 May 25  2022 Public
drwxr-xr-x  13 icecube  icecube    442 Sep 11 14:47 Sites
-rw-r--r--   1 icecube  icecube   5754 May 25  2022 index.html
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> bin
200 Type set to I.
ftp> cd Desktop
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
total 362
drwxr-xr-x  23 icecube  icecube        782 Oct  4 16:12  System 7 Pro 7.1.1
-rw-------   1 icecube  icecube      21508 Oct  4 17:53 .DS_Store
-rw-r--r--   1 icecube  icecube          0 May 25  2022 .localized
-rw-r--r--   1 icecube  icecube   10485760 Oct  4 13:13 010M.dmg
-rw-r--r--   1 icecube  icecube   41943040 Oct  4 17:20 040M.dmg
-rw-r--r--   1 icecube  icecube  134217728 Oct  4 16:04 128M.dmg
-rw-r--r--   1 icecube  icecube     670053 Oct  4 16:10 7.1.1P-2.png
drwx------  12 icecube  icecube        408 Oct  4 07:27 Backup F
drwxrwxrwx  13 icecube  icecube        442 Oct  4 07:29 M0548A_AppleShare_1.1_1987
-rw-r--r--   1 icecube  icecube     654104 Oct  4 17:46 Picture 1.png
-rw-r--r--   1 icecube  icecube    1474644 Aug 23 15:33 SSW608NAD.image
drwxr-xr-x  12 icecube  icecube        408 Aug 31 18:56 System 7.1 DC42
drwxr-xr-x   8 icecube  icecube        272 Oct  4 14:51 Upload FOLDER
-rwxrwxrwx   1 icecube  icecube         71 Jul  1 19:57 movie watch list.txt
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> get 128M.dmg
local: 128M.dmg remote: 128M.dmg
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for '128M.dmg' (134217728 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
134217728 bytes received in 12.05 secs (10881.8 kB/s)
ftp> bye
221-
    Data traffic for this session was 134217728 bytes in 1 file.
    Total traffic for this session was 134220574 bytes in 3 transfers.
221 Thank you for using the FTP service on icecubeTA8.local.
hailstone@hailstone ~ $ sudo ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex full
[sudo] password for hailstone:
hailstone@hailstone ~ $ ftp 192.168.1.129
Connected to 192.168.1.129.
220 icecubeTA8.local FTP server (tnftpd 20061217) ready.
Name (192.168.1.129:hailstone): icecube
331 Password required for icecube.
Password:
230-
    Welcome to Darwin!
230 User icecube logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> cd Desktop
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> put 128M.dmg
local: 128M.dmg remote: 128M.dmg
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for '128M.dmg'.
226 Transfer complete.
134217728 bytes sent in 114.38 secs (1146.0 kB/s)
ftp> bye
221-
    Data traffic for this session was 134217728 bytes in 1 file.
    Total traffic for this session was 134218254 bytes in 1 transfer.
221 Thank you for using the FTP service on icecubeTA8.local.
hailstone@hailstone ~ $

The next two articles are attached. The first one shows Tiger where auto negotiation is clearly on. I set the Linux box to 10BASE-T and you can see the link speed on the Tiger box changed to reflect that.

The second one shows Linux mint where I turned Auto Negotiation back on, then changed the link speed on the Tiger box. You can see it first says 100BASE-T and then I changed it to 10BASE-T, refreshed the tool, and it shows it's connected over 10BASE-T.

I'm sure there's a scenario where you are correct about auto-negotiation on both sides, but with my proof in front of me that the speed did change when one machine was set to Auto and the other manually, I'd like to see your proof other than "just google it" because we both know that Google has fallen by the wayside and it has become increasingly difficult to find good stuff these days. The more I can learn the better.

Screenshot-6.png
 Description:
Linux Box
 Filesize:  878.47 KB
 Viewed:  3659 Time(s)

Screenshot-6.png

tigernetworkcon.png
 Description:
Tiger Box (Mac mini G4)
 Filesize:  443.57 KB

tigernetworkcon.png

se30online.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.41 KB

se30online.jpg

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: