Plusnet Hub Two - GRV9517UWAC34-A

T1Cybernetic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 21:22    Post subject: Plusnet Hub Two - GRV9517UWAC34-A Reply with quote
Does anyone know if it's possible to run DD-WRT on a plusnet supplied router. I don't know the hardware inside the router and the only details I can see on the housing is this.

Plusnet Hub Two - GRV9517UWAC34-A

I can't find much information about it anywhere so I thought I would ask here.

"EDIT"

I believe it to be this router or varient ->
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/10/broadband-isp-plusnet-uk-launch-familiar-new-hub-two-router.html
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/11/bt-launch-new-smart-hub-2-broadband-router-and-complete-wi-fi.html

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will probably never see support because of the integrated modem if it's anything like the Hub One or BT Home Hub series.

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Plusnet_Hub_One

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/BT_Home_Hub

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Known_incompatible_devices

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
T1Cybernetic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cheers, That was the conclusion I had come to Sad

It's a shame really because my internet and WIFI are excellent when I use the plusnet device but the user interface is terrible and there's a possibility a whole load of options are hidden or unavailable because of their rubbish software.

Fingers crossed for the future Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
My plusnet router...Hub One you can change the firmware with OpenWRT but, you'd need a serial and when i did it, it was quite scatchy...instead, you can just buy one form ebay already running OpenWRT....and carry on forward...not sure if those will have a decent/recent support, neither...was working ok with its openwrt...but that was ages ago...

My personal advise is... "stay away from any ISP stuff that doesn't have support...updates and so on"..as you may guess those plusnet or bt routers are basically full of security holes and un-updeted binaries...and yes those wifi radios are great ...the only minor thing that works..i agree...although performance is moderate, compatibility with various vendors/clients is great...
Bets move, get a second hand Netgear R7800 or XR500..lots of those on ebay...and totally replace the ISP router..i run a DDWRT on those i have and im a happy camper...also those have support on other 3rd party firmwares, so you have a choice...too
Laughing

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
T1Cybernetic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I currently run the Asus RT-N66U with DD-wrt installed and working perfectly Wink Best upgrade a person could do in my opinion.

The plusnet routers idea was just to get some use out of them and try to extend the wifi /connectivity a little more around the house. I can live without them Very Happy

On a friends asus router earlier in the year I had a play with OpenWRT and it was nice but in all fairness I think I'll leave the plusnet routers alone.

Grabbing a newer router might be an option though, Especially something that works well with DD-WRT. It's something to consider for the future definitely.

Navigation

Jump to: