Can heat cause router performance to be bad?

SyBom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 20:26    Post subject: Can heat cause router performance to be bad? Reply with quote
The internet where I live is kinda bad and we still use ADSL mostly. Since we had a very hot (around 40 degrees, and 30 indoors) summer my internet has been getting worse and worse, mainly a high percentage of download packet loss, but also some decrease in speed. I called my ISP and we tried changing all the connections to my house and nothing ever worked, they recommended trying a different router and I did and it fixed everything for around 2 hours, and now its bad again but a bit better than before. I did some googling and it turns out heat can effect the performance of router, but I'm not sure if these are the effects. The SNR and line attenuation are very good and they stay like this even when the performance is bad. I have a low end router because this is all I can find here right now.

Is there any hope that a decent modem router can help in my situation, if so what would be the best option for an ADSL modem router nowadays? Or is it just a problem with my internet connection and not the router and I shouldn't bother upgrading?
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Without knowing which specific hardware is involved, and this not necessarily being a DD-WRT question, the only advice I can give is to add some kind of cooling fan, preferably USB-powered.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
To see if it's heat related...just take a table fan and blow it into the unit's vent holes...the temp should come down enough on the router for testing purposes.

Yes...heat is the #1 killer of electronics....static electricity is #2....just sayin'

redhawk
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Besides room temperature, the internal equipment temperature is the important factor. If you feel it hot at the touch, internally should be even hotter, and that's not a good sign. A typical failure are bad electrolytic capacitors inside.

As said, for testing you can put a fan to your modem and router, to discard whether the heat is affecting those. If improves, you can figure out a better option, like placing those over a laptop cooler or some other alternative.

On the other hand, besides the Signal Quality of your router, you could get into the modem configuration page, and check the DSL status. For instance, I live far from the PTT, and I had one 4Mbps ADSL plan connected at 4Mbps with two brands of modems, but never reached that rate with other brands, so YMMV.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: