WRT1900ASC V2 installation experience - might benefit others

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
ereiss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 15:46    Post subject: WRT1900ASC V2 installation experience - might benefit others Reply with quote
Hello forum members.

I purchased a WRT1900ACS V2 (yes this is what is in the model number box on label) off of eBay. I was very particular to get an ACS V2.

The router does not appear to have ever had DD-WRT installed. The router seemed to be functioning correctly.

I don't recall if I told the Linksys firmware to do a check and upgrade initially, I think I just tried to install the factory-to-ddwrt.bin (r51937). It wouldn't install.

I did at some point do a Linksys firmware upgrade and still was having problems. I had tried using the most recent build R53339 at this point and at the time I write this post.

I do not recall the two versions of Linksys Firmware that were on there prior to and after the Linksys Firmware check.

But in looking at Linksys's support site for the router, it listed Ver. 2.0.3.201002 as the last firmware with date 5/1/2020. But the thing is, that was not what the Linksys UI was saying was available after doing a check and what was now installed. It said it was up to date but the version was lower than 2.0.3.201002.

(Sorry that I did not keep track of those two pervious Linksys Firmware versions but now they are nolonger visible.)

So I downloaded that Linksys firmware from the website via a browser and "manually" installed it through the Linksys's firmware UI.

This was succcessful.

Then I went to installed the DD-WRT R53339 and that was finally successful.

FINALLY SUCCESSFUL! (If you can't tell I was starting to get a little frustrated. Almost two hours screwing around with this.)

After getting into DD-WRT, I downgraded to r51937 ( I have two WRT3200ACMs at this verion and want to be consistant with a reportedly very stable build).

So my takeaway that I wanted to pass along that hopefully others may benefit from is that if you are having problems getting DD-WRT to initially install on a Linksys WRT1900ACS V2 (and maybe others models) it may not be a DD-WRT build problem, it could be the Linksys Firmware is having a problem and you could try making sure you are on the latest Linksys Firmware and see if the DD-WRT firmware install will work.

Hopefully, my struggles will help someone else.

Regards,

Eric
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
With four WRT1900 model variants be sure to check the label on bottom. Label is in upper-right corner, 'Model No.'
Ignore FCC ID, IC info, and also ignore front-facing router label. No other label location is reliable, only 'Model No.'

If version numbers are not matching then double check model number of any Linksys Marvell WRT1900 series unit.
Four variants are AC (V1), AC V2, ACS (V1), ACS V2. Match your model accordingly to the correct download folder.

Aside from flashing any wrong firmware file, stock firmware is known to have issues with flashing the larger builds.
Also browser used could be playing a factor but if firmware is over ~32MB expect issues with factory-to-ddwrt.img.

Plenty of recent stable builds there is no reason to rely on old r51937 especially since no issue with current r53339.
ereiss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello blkt.

Yes, as I said in the original post:
"I purchased a WRT1900ACS V2 (yes this is what is in the model number box on label) off of eBay. I was very particular to get an ACS V2."

So I am certain I was using the correct DD-WRT version as I was specifically hunting for a WRT1900ACS V2.

In fact, I notified a number of sellers on eBay that they were not listsing ACS V2 models and they all corrected their products, having to relist them as they were locked from changing the details apparently.

I did ommit the fact that initially I was trying to use Chrome then switched to Edge. Still was having problems before I updated the OEM Firmware and then again manually updated it with the webstie donwloaded versions.

Finally in Edge I was able to update to DD-WRT r53339.

The r53339 is over 32MB so that could have been a problem but it seemed the fix was getting the OEM firmware to latest to get it to work and the check update inside the Linksys firmware was not taking it to that version listed on the Linksys website. It did do and update but not to that version listed.

Thanks for the feedback.

~Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: