setting up Repeater with D Lin 615 d2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
still problem with apcli0
rebooted router, started syslog, then tried to attach mobile phone wifi to VAP SSID Status - connected without interner-lan page of router shows ip 192.168.3.102 allocated to phone mac which is correct ip range 192.168.3.1/24
Setup - bandwidth wl0.1 is devoid of any data activity
Sponsor
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
As a check that this D Link 615D2 is working correctly I have restored a backup file from another active DLink in my home network and connected the new Dlink into my home nework - the time display on the top line is correct for the UK.

In my desired repeater setup environment, there is no WAN connection so the DLink cannot get access to a time server via the WAN
Is there a setting that a wireless repeater should have to enable it to get the time from it's AP ?

thanks for any interest
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't looked at device-specific webUI for this, but normally on (Client)Station Bridge, you have to add the upstream router's IP as gateway when the WAN is disabled for NTP to sync. On some platforms (Atheros), there is also a gateway IP entry for the Wireless settings last I knew.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi again

I think there is a possibility that the incorrect time is a unimportant or non-contributory factor to my difficulties.

With the DLink just set as a repeater without a VAP, the Dlink connects to my 4G MIFI and allows devices to connect on the repeated wifi and have internet access. The GUI displayed time is incorrect

Examining the GUI for the 4G repeater show the IP of my connected smartphone with an IP from the range allowed (192.168.1.100) but with a mac address of the DLink router

The Dlink router Status- Wireless GUI show the mac of my smartphone connected to ra0. This is what is expected for a wireless repeater.

As soon as I apply the VAP wifi, the DLink fails to connect to the 4G MIFI - asking my smartphone to connect ( which was connected via the DLink) to the SSID for the 4G MIFI which IS being repeated - (a wifi scan shows same SSID on same channel with two mac addresses) always results in a direct connection to the 4G MIFI.

It seems that the VAP stops the DLink from being able "see" the repeated SSID or if it can "see" it, not connect to it. I have set the DLink wifi signal power at 15OmW and physically moved it away from the 4G MIFI so that the main and repeated SSID strengths received by the DLink are significantly different.

Even adding the default dd-wrt VAP with no security and no other settings in the DLink changed results in this behaviour - is there a setting that I have to change elsewhere in the router before clicking APPLY to the VAP SSID

many thanks
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
More information which might help someone help me.

I add a VAP, set it in ubridged mode (not worried about security etc) and click save, then apply.
I check setup advanced networking and I have MDHCP active with the IP address range I have given to VAP on ra1 - I click apply again just in case.

I monitor Status - wireless and then try to connect my smartphone to the VAP - I see a mac appear in the clients mac address field

It is not my phone mac which I have checked in "About Phone- Status" -it is also trying to connect on ra0 and not ra1 - is there another setting that I should have changed

Thanks
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
The interface br1 (with ra1 bridged to it) should have an IP address assigned (192.168.5.1).
The MDHCP config should have 192.168.5.1/24 (if it's asking for CIDR netmask to be applied).

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many thanks for response - typo error- getting closer - I now have my phone connected to the VAP SSID with an IP of 192.168.5.123 but I had to use the connect without internet option - can you advise me which GUI I should be looking at for further progress - could this be something to do with DNSmasq setting for the VAP

Many thanks
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Everything I would suggest has already been suggested. Re-read through the thread.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have re-read and re-visited syslog during attempts to attach device to VAP SSID - continue to see syslog message "attempting to associate apci0" - I do not understand the way forward - I see that br0 is associated with apci0, ra0, vlan1 and vlan2 but have not found the way to associate apci0 with br1 if that is what I need to do ?

I also see that when I set my phone to get connected on the VAP SSID, Status - wireless in the router shows that is is connected to ra0 during this phase and not ra1 - is this correct and if not where should I look ?

thanks
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, we're trying to do a repeater bridge, correct? Not sure if the wiki is correct, but check the following under "Ralink":

Repeater Bridge - Ralink - DD-WRT Wiki

There is no mention of needing a VAP or DHCP server on Ralink for Repeater Bridge mode.

----------------------
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Kenel-Panic69

I have the DLink working as a repeater bridge sucessfully.

I was hoping to add a VAP which, once working, I would (hopefully) use on a client VPN service from this DLink in Spain back to my home in the UK where I have a working D Link 615 with VPN Server capabilty.
But I am stuck with the VAP SSID getting an IP from router but not establshing an internet
connection - syslog shows an error " apci0 not associated " - I don't know what this means - I have a bridge in Setup- Networking br1 associated with ra1 which provides an IP in the correct subnet but as I mentioned trying to use the VAP ends with an IP but no intenet connection. IP Ranges are

4G MIFI 192.168.1.8 IP range from 192.168.1.100
DLink 192.168.1.3 Repeater Bridge
VAP 192 168.5.1 IP Range 192.168.5.100

Thanks for follow up
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the router under Setup -> Advanced Networking in Gateway or Router mode? I think the only way you're going to have the VAP on a separate subnet is to either establish a static route in the MDHCP settings somehow or put the router in Gateway mode, which may break your Repeater bridge. You're also going to have to tell the VPN client to somehow route your separate subnet through it via the bridge. Would be easier to do this with the main wireless interface in Station (Client) mode with a VAP, perhaps. Really wish I could find a Rev D* of this particular router to acquire to sort through this in person.

----------------------
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
HI again
I thought I had replied to your last post but apparently not - I have abandonded the idea of VAP and will just use DLink in repeater bridge mode and try to get all of the traffic from my devices coing through the VPN.

My home config is a broadband non-wrt router lan connected to a DLink D615D2 - I can remote access the "DLinkOffice" attached devices from remote locations using a ISP static WAN IP with port forwarding to the devices.

I have made what I think are the correct entries in the VPN server (attached) - I have set a portforward on the non-wrt router to the DlinkOffice - I have used the DNS address that is set in the main router and not 123 123 123 123 - am I going in the right direction ?
Thanks
hw112
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your firmware shows build 44715 which is an old and outdated build.

Not guaranteeing newer builds are better though.

But frankly I would not put much effort in these low end routers no OpenVPN, no WireGuard, not much used and tested, little RAM, little CPU power Sad

PPTP is almost never used anymore as it is not safe so knowledge about it has faded.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I thought you had upgraded to 52869 already. If you're not on 52955 (current release), level or continued help here is questionable.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/06-12-2023-r52955/dlink-dir615d/

----------------------
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: