Effect of enabling SFE..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
scope2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 18:35    Post subject: Effect of enabling SFE.. Reply with quote
Hi all,

I just wanted to highlight the benefits of enabling Shortcut Forwarding Engine (SFE) on a R7800 if it is struggling to deliver the full broadband speed - in my case 900/900:

The graph show 7 days worth of speed tests running every 1 hour.. As you can see from the graph SFE was disabled for about 2 days while I was testing a new Wireguard tunnel to my mobile phone, to rule out any issues caused by SFE.. In my case the R7800 was only able to delivery around 500 Mbit/s with the SFE disabled, while it was double that (around 900 Mbit/s) with it enabled. Upload (blue line) doesnt seem to be too impacted.

A word of caution, SFE CAN introduce issues when turned on, but in my case (touch wood) I have not seen any issues with it being turned on, and I run multiple VAPs, Wireguard Tunnels on 2 of my routers and have probably 30-40 devices on my network at any given time..
Sponsor
hw112
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
SFE has been covered multiple times e.g.:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=334360&highlight=sfe

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=310677

Use at your own risk Smile
gilius
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
.) In general do not configure or use VPN with SFE enabled, unless your set up config is simple.
2.) SFE is a software hack to bypass kernel performance limitation, but has its own set of issues.
3.) Use x86 platform 1 Gbps or greater. R7800 cannot handle both Gbps and VPN all in software.

Search for all terms, display results as posts, return all available characters of posts. "VPN SFE"

I had to copy this post from another SFE thread, for some reason thread was locked even though the latest posts were recent. Just wanted to say, this is fantastic insight from blkt on SFE and I appreciate the advice.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't know why locked, but 1.) was a link. https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1278648#1278640
Also, I was summarizing SFE what egc has already said in depth. When in doubt search egc posts, various subjects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: