How do I access my USB drive from outside my home network.

ginjaninja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 16:24    Post subject: How do I access my USB drive from outside my home network. Reply with quote
Gents now that I have my DD-WRT router (Netgear R7800) running DD-WRT v3.0-r52369 std (04/20/23), thanks to the help of EGC, i now have an up and running media server across my home network. I am now considering setting up so it can be accessed from outside of the home network, i.e. from work etc... I do have an IPVanish account to run as VPN if needed, but was wondering is this possible to setup given my home setup, rather than try and explain i have attached a drawing of how my setup is at home, not sure if it is the best way to be setup (probably not) but I have only started using the DD-WRT router to access the media files and not for routing IP addresses as when I first connected to my ISP VM 1GB router the speeds were not very good, so I now have a VM mesh network setup running from the ISP router.

anyway back to the question is it possible to access my home network media files on the USB drive from remote

TIA
The NiNja

Home Network Setup.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Home Network Setup.pdf
 Filesize:  61.63 KB
 Downloaded:  73 Time(s)

Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
the only secure ways, that you can access your router/home network via:
-SSh over WAN (preferably with secure key file authentication only)
-via OpenVPN server/client https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327398
-via Wireguard server/client https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327397

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
ginjaninja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for reply appreciate it

i am working through the guide for WireGuard server setup, but have got an error message when trying to connect after i have added all the settings. see image

not sure if this is to do with the end point being set at me.ddns.org:51810 as per what is in the guide.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
The NiNja

Screenshot 2023-05-10 194450.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.7 KB
 Viewed:  584 Time(s)

Screenshot 2023-05-10 194450.png

shabuboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Endpoint has to be whatever your internet IP is if accessing from the internet.
me.ddns.org is just an example.
If you have a DHCP IP address from your ISP, set DDNS instead, as those can change. But for testing yes, you can just use the IP.

But if you still need help, might as well paste the configs, and remove the keys though before pasting though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: