How to know **which** Firmware is a good choice?

If this doesn't exist, do you think it would be a good idea?
Would be super
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Not needed, people can read
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
You're an idiot, the forums already have everything you need.
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

a13antichrist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 14:46    Post subject: How to know **which** Firmware is a good choice? Reply with quote
Other than spending hours reading through each "New Build thread" in the relevant hardware forum.. surely there can be a "best Safe Build" marking, a kind of non-beta indication for people who just want to stay current but not live on the bleeding edge...

For example, I have a Netgear R7800 and a Dlink 868L.. it seems 52369 is a good, stable build for most routers. Of course there may be the odd issue with specific devices and that could be summarised in a 'Known Issues' section so that those specifically affected can avoid that build and use the next-latest 'known safe' instead.

This seems obvious to me so most likely I'm just ignorant as to its location. Or what?
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
You test newest builds also report your experiences, or fall back to a build you have researched from other reports.
Without any feedback nobody would know so keep in mind using old build does not help to improve DD-WRT at all.

DD-WRT is perpetual beta, so understand while there is no official stable build there are plenty of stable builds out.
Also keep in mind a vast majority of issues are configuration related, also ruling out the issues is how to find bugs.

So, reproduce problems and show others configurations or steps required to recreate from a default environment.
From that point configurations are analyzed and fixed or leads to discovery of real problem and DD-WRT benefits.
a13antichrist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't ask for an official stable build, I asked for a simple consensus build like, 'use this one if you want to be [mostly] safe'.

What I do now is look for threads of people reporting issues and then see when they say ".. so I rolled back to R52369, solid and stable build". When I see a couple of those reports rolling back to the same version, I then find that build's thread in the specific hardware forum, and double-check it against my hardware.

But this is a super-cumbersome process. I usually don't want or care about the absolute latest features, the only time I would use an untested build is if I had a bug and needed a fix. The rest of the time I just need to be [mostly] sure it will keep working.

If the desire from Dev team is to have every single user of DDwrt also be in the development chain and actively participating in 'building and bricking', then ok, a 'safe' version doesn't make sense. But bear in mind that the goal of any product should first-and-foremost be to be *used*, not developed. I don't think there's big overlap of people who want a safe build, but then say, ehh there's no record of one, I'll go ahead and use a bleeding-edge one". Mostly they will just do the same as me, spend hours researching which just wastes everyone's time. Or they will post questions like this one which then wastes -your- time.

If there are plenty of stable builds out, then why not have a simple sticky with the list of [considered-] stable builds?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Issue is vastly overblown. Reality is there are far more stable builds than realized without effort. First reply stands.
a13antichrist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really, a simple "current stable" is too much ask? There used to be one... it's literally in the forum guidelines....

Sash wrote:
Releases prior the current stable aren't supported. So upgrade to the latest stable or recommended BETA release first.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, too much to ask because current release is stable, also already know of r52369 which I have 38 days uptime.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here we go again. The "stable" folder is dated 2008. This firmware has been in perpetual BETA since then. This is a well-worn topic, and you're beating a dead horse. <roll> <lol>
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
a13antichrist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Yes, too much to ask because current release is stable, also already know of r52369 which I have 38 days uptime.

I didn't say it was news Smile)

No worries, questioned answered then. :p
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
stable is a very questionable .. what for, on which router model
most of the builds are stable 99% but…depends
what are they used for…as routers are simple devices but those
could be used for a number of setups…
More details provided more accuracy simple as that…
I personally update quite often but…used to update only
when i see something that will affect:
-my setup
-kernel updates
-security fixes
-new updated binaries

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: