Router has a WAN IP, but no internet [Part 2]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
EarthBoundX5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
pppoe its working ok...try reset and reconfigure...from scratch...manually...
old builds are obsolete and not supported...as well those contain lots of missed binary updates and security holes..last build 52369

In your case..to me it sounds as misconfiguration...

Thanks for the explaination of this common suggestion vs just suggesting it. Unfortunately, I'd encountered changes myself a few versions back comparing my backup bins, and I've already taken those steps to try and resolve this. So I'd give it a try again, but I've already done so with limited success (but that effort probably can't happen for another year or so).

Alozaros wrote:
do not use NTP time in resolve name format, but use IP instead...like google NTP time 216.239.35.4
some ISP providers are forcing their DNS servers via PPPoE and if you have yours preferred
us Ignore WAN DNS servers..

THIS! So I've had a sucpicion that the problem could be related to the fact that when my modem is in transparent bridging, I cannot configure the time, and so the time on the Modem is massively off. So if anyone has any insight to this in relation to a technicolor C2100T, that would be an awesome step to try.

As for all my other devices, I run an NTP server that every device in my house (that can) points to via IP for time.

Alozaros wrote:
Do you have a modem in front..that provides the connection...sometimes those need a reboot..first than wait, than turn your router than wait..it could be clearly faulty modem too..(your modem must be in a bridge mode)

Thanks for this, it definitely had been a factor in much older builds. In the build I'm on and everything after, that hasn't made any difference in the stability of the connection. And yes, I'm in transparent bridge mode.

Alozaros wrote:
does your WAN need a tag number ? - (i read that you need it) on the new builds this is very easy..and its done via GUI..

So..reset and manually rebuild and than tag via gui and happy days.. https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1283014#1283014

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1283412&highlight=#1283412

Woah...it's that easy now? I had avoided getting into vlans at home because I just couldn't wrap my head around the config process...that said, I don't explicitly do any tagging, that I'm aware of. All I've done with regards to my WAN port is this post:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=434807#434807

Would that be a factor? To note, when I upgrade, I can always still access my modem with these settings, so long as the PPPoE connection is in progress at the least.

But back to my other point though, I can get everything to work perfectly....for about 3-4 packets worth of data, haha. And the router can always reach the internet. It's just devices on my network that have fault, and it's resolved on my current build, and for a handful of packets at a time with subsequent builds, when I Apply Settings from Advanced Routing. I feel like if I just knew what was happening in that process, I could sort this out?
Sponsor
netman79
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
A few months ago, not that long ago actually, I posted a similar issue, might even be the same issue. It didn't get much traction here on forum. Here's my topic
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=333643

If anyone is serious in solving this issue I'm willing to provide logs etc...

It would mess me up a little since I have some devices assigned to a different subnet etc... but I could find time to reset things and test things. Right now I use DHCP forward to my ISP router and my ISP router sort of controls my network but with WAN disabled and DHCP pointing to ISP router it works although I'm not too happy about that.

Bottom line is, currently (at least 3 months ago that's how it was) my router won't work on its own. Only works with WAN disabled.

Thanks
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to either power down your ONT and the Asus for 5 minutes or you need to post screen shots of the TP-Link's configuration details and possibly provide ISP information to see if there is an obvious configuration error in your Asus or not. You have yet to provide screenshots of your Asus configurations or logs. This is most likely a configuration issue, not a DD-WRT bug.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
EarthBoundX5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
You need to either power down your ONT and the Asus for 5 minutes or you need to post screen shots of the TP-Link's configuration details and possibly provide ISP information to see if there is an obvious configuration error in your Asus or not. You have yet to provide screenshots of your Asus configurations or logs. This is most likely a configuration issue, not a DD-WRT bug.

Except that I did post everything you're noting and requesting...

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1262681#1262681
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1262900#1262900
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: