Asustek CFE Access on AC66U B1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
GhostITH
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 14:35    Post subject: Asustek CFE Access on AC66U B1 Reply with quote
Hey all,

Very new to flashing FW on routers...successfully. I have an older AC66U B1 that I'm working with which doesn't seem to be entering rescue mode. I've tried both the methods listed on the site and the ASUS site.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC66U_B1
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/
Everything seems to go according to plan - the router appears to enter rescue mode when reset and power held correctly (flashy lights and all) but when I try to enter back on 192.168.1.1 or use the Firmware Restoration Tool it doesn't connect or I get a "The wireless router is not in rescue mode." I did set the static IPV4 address too.
I found a few older posts which mention using an older version of the Firmware Restoration tool -
2.0.0.0 but still the same...
I'm not sure why its not connecting? Any hints, tricks or techs? Crying or Very sad
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
May need an old browser (e.g. FF 45.9.0) for rescue mode. ASUS Firmware Restoration: 2.0.0.0, 2.1.0.2, 2.1.0.3
Review model, settings or steps again. Flash over Ethernet. Security software, firewall maybe temporarily disable.

wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC66U_B1 (AC68U) wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC66U A1
NGRhodes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same router.
You need to do a hard reset using the WPS button rather than the reset button (I don't know the reason why this is needed).

1. Turn off router.
2. Hold down the WPS button (other side to the power button)
3. Keep holding down the WPS button and turn on the router.
4. When the power LED flashes (this can take many seconds) turn the router off.
5. Release the WPS button.
6. Hold down the reset button.
7. Turn router back on.
8. When the power LED starts flashing (in a few seconds) you can release the reset button.

The CFE should now be loaded, set a static IP and connect in a browser to 192.168.1.1
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
ASUS has always been weird see the large list of models that use WPS for hardware reset.
When Standard Reset Isn’t Working: Hard Factory Reset Models list: Method 1 & Method 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: