ASUS RT-N66U Always drops 2.4GHz connection using dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dkwalton
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 0:38    Post subject: ASUS RT-N66U Always drops 2.4GHz connection using dd-wrt Reply with quote
Firmware currently installed --
dd-wrt.v24-52095_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

Currently installed on a new in box, never used ASUS RT-N66U router.

Configuration -- Access Point (Used in a wired Access Point/Router Client network pair.)

Within an hour, the 2.4GHz connection is dropped on any and every device connected to the AP. This not only happens with the above dd-wrt firmware, but with every dd-wrt firmware package I have ever installed on an RT-N66U.

The 5GHz channel does not have this problem.

Moreover, it does this on every RT-N66U unit I have tested (I have 6.)

I have successfully set up dd-wrt on various Linksys routers in Access Point and Router Client pairs and have never had this problem.

I have no problems with the 2.4GHz channel using RT-N66U routers with ASUS firmware in Access Point and Repeater modes.

What gives with the RT-N66U?

Am I missing some special setting not required by Linksys routers?

No one else has this problem?

If you do not have this problem using dd-wrt firmware on an ASUS RT-N66U router, what build version of dd-wrt are you using?
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do not have your router so can only give some general pointers.

Sometimes the hourly NTP update can cause problems so make that a 24 hour update.

Key Renewal on the Wifi key can also be problematic so might try to disable that.

Correct settings for a Wireless Access Point (WAP):
Quote:
A secondary router connected wired LAN<>LAN on the same subnet as the primary router.
Setup:
• On Basic Setup page:
o WAN disabled
o DHCP server Disabled (=off and NOT set as Forwarder!)
o Local IP address in subnet of primary router but outside DHCP scope, make sure the used IP address is unique on your network you cannot have duplicates.
o Gateway and Local DNS pointing to primary router
Example:
If your primary router is 192.168.1.1 then set the Local IP address of the WAP to 192.168.1.2 (make sure that is not used).
The Gateway and Local DNS are set to point to the primary router e.g.: 192.168.1.1

• Keep DNSMasq enabled (both on Basic Setup page and Services page)

• On Setup > Advanced Routing, keep Operating mode in the default Gateway (the wiki says Router mode but do not do that, either it does not matter (this case) or break things)

• On Security > Firewall keep the SPI Firewall enabled, although you do not want a firewall it will be automatically disabled as there is no WAN so no need to change this setting from default.

• Connect LAN <> LAN (do not use the WAN port unless you really need that extra port, for most routers traffic still must use the CPU so performance is lacklustre and there are some routers where the WAN port is not added to br0 so the WAN port could be non-functional on some routers).

Note: For Broadcom routers for best throughput enable CTF on Basic Setup Page

Wireless settings: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327595

To make sure there are no gremlins on the router consider a thorough reset with:
nvram erase && reboot

and put settings in manually, never restore from a backup (to a different build)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
dkwalton
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you egc for taking the time to respond.

Firstly, let me say that because I ran into some buggy problems setting up a repeater in version 52095 and because I prefer to have all equipment running dd-wrt firmware using the same version, I reverted to the earlier version of dd-wrt I have been using on other devices --

dd-wrt.v24-44715_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

This version does not have all the settings mentioned in your post and the post you linked to. However, I was able to test some changes to the settings. Sadly it was to no avail.

Nevertheless, your post and the post you linked to are most informative, and I greatly appreciate that.

I have since decided to use the 5GHz radio only on the RT-N66U AP as the throughput is improved and my area is getting clogged with 2.4GHz wireless routers. As such, interference may be part of the problem with the 2.4GHz band.

Again, thank you very much for the info. It has been most helpful.
troger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm seeing a similar issue. My devices don't just drop all at once, but if they leave they are unable to rejoin.

More like this: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1283758#1283758

I'm still trying all types of changes to the 2.4 radio / auth setup - nothing has worked so far. After some time - if a client leaves, it can't rejoin.

The way to recover is to apply all on the 2.4 setup section or reboot router. That prob restarts the associated deamon or what not. I haven't looked that deep yet. I'm hoping for a proper setting to reveal itself.

I'm currently looking at disabling key renewal. Not ideal, but I'll give it a shot.
troger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I set key renewal to 0 on two separate devices and I've had no issue for well over a week now. It's been the longest span of time without problems. I manually force clients off to make sure they can get back on.

Although not ideal and somewhat of a security risk, I find that to be acceptable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: