DNS Servers via Tunnel - Clarification

crows
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:14    Post subject: DNS Servers via Tunnel - Clarification Reply with quote
I've read the sticky wireguard document, I'm still not sure how it works. I've set my VPN provider IP in the DNS Servers via Tunnel area.My understanding is only the VPN traffic use this DNS...reason I'm asking is by having this setup my local wan video streaming devices won't connect erroring saying please check internet connection. Shouldn't wan devices use static dns on setup page? Or should I be using split DNS to achieve this?

Thanks in advance
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
The option DNS servers via tunnel will let you set one or more DNS servers in a comma delimited list.
The specified DNS servers are used by DNSMasq for the whole router and the queries via these specified server(s) are always routed via the VPN tunnel.
So all attached clients will use these DNS server(s) via the VPN tunnel.
If you are using Policy Based routing and you do not want that all clients are using these DNS servers via tunnel then you can use Split DNS and leave this field empty.

Split DNS
When you are using PBR you might also want to route DNS queries accordingly e.g. you split DNS.
Often necessary for websites which not only track your IP address but also your DNS address e.g. Netflix, Amazon, your bank etc.

The field where you can enter the DNS server(s) will appear if you enable Split DNS.

Source routing
In case you have chosen Route selected sources via VPN meaning the sources from the PBR field are routed via the tunnel and other sources via the WAN, the PBR sources will use the DNS address from the IPv4 DNS server field(and if you use IPV6 the IPv6 DNS server)

Make sure that the DNS server(s) you have chosen is different from the ones used elsewhere e.g. in Static DNS 1,2,3!.

If you use Split DNS then leave the field DNS servers via tunnel empty as it is non-functional when Split DNS is set .

All other sources will use the regular DNS servers from Static DNS 1,2,3 on Setup page.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: