Query about Linksys WRT AC3200 vs Linksys WRT32X-AU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
glass.onion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:42    Post subject: Query about Linksys WRT AC3200 vs Linksys WRT32X-AU Reply with quote
I'm fairly new to going into the depths of a router and am interested in learning. I have heard very good things about the 'Linksys WRT AC3200', so when looking at prices on eBay for example, the 'Linksys WRT32X-AU' comes up as cheaper. Is this an updated version of the 'Linksys WRT AC3200'?

Why is the blue 'Linksys WRT AC3200' so sought after?
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
WRT32X is same hardware as WRT3200ACM, with different uboot settings, flash layout and old "for gaming" OpenWrt.
Marvell hardware is not recommended or any Linksys WRT hardware for that matter, abandoned crap wireless drivers.
However, you can disable all radios use external access points or Ethernet only. For this use, it may be recommended.

WikiDevi: R7800 (XR450/XR500), R7500v2, EA8500, R9000 (R8900/XR700).
R7800, XR450, XR500, R7500v2, EA8500 (serial flash), x86 (one, two, three).
glass.onion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks blkt.

So is the AC3200 the best router for DD-WRT?

I'm just trying to understand why its still so popular.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
WRT32X is same hardware as WRT3200ACM, with different uboot settings, flash layout and old "for gaming" OpenWrt.
Marvell hardware is not recommended or any Linksys WRT hardware for that matter, abandoned crap wireless drivers.
However, you can disable all radios use external access points or Ethernet only. For this use, it may be recommended.

glass.onion wrote:
Thanks blkt.

So is the AC3200 the best router for DD-WRT?

I'm just trying to understand why its still so popular.

no idea where you got the iformation from.
but in the dd-wrt forum there are hundreds of threads that deal with router recommendations and marvel routers are rarely mentioned.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just finished NOT recommending because of poor wireless drivers, now abandoned, unless Ethernet only with APs.
Only reason people stick to Linksys WRT is because of blue gray color scheme, so warm fuzzy nostalgic memories.
blkt wrote:
WikiDevi: R7800 (XR450/XR500), R7500v2, EA8500, R9000 (R8900/XR700).
R7800, XR450, XR500, R7500v2, EA8500 (serial flash), x86 (one, two, three).
Did you completely miss all this as well? Not the first time it's happened, so eight models to recommend plus x86.
Oldsmobile_Mike
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:

no idea where you got the iformation [sic] from.

https://approvedmodems.org/best-dd-wrt-routers/

It's listed here, and in dozens of other sites. One only needs to google "best router for dd-wrt" and the WRT3200ACM comes up high on nearly every list. And it's not like the community has done much to dissuade these sham articles... LOL. #shrug 🤷‍♂️
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just want to counter the very strong but perhaps outdated negative opinions above on the WRT3200ACM (AC3200). The wifi issues were resolved long ago (a year? two years?), and you can look through any recent new-build thread in the Marvell forum and see reports from happy owners of this router.

This entire WRTblah line of routers has going for it a nice dual-partition setup that let's you keep two versions of the firmware in the router and fairly easily boot into either. This is something of a safety feature when flashing a new build. I take advantage of this myself in maintaining several family routers remotely. In particular, I have flashed these routers remotely (so-called "CLI method"... see intro in the new-build threads) dozens of times without issue. I'd be terrified to try that on any other routers.

This WRT line comprises the WRT1200, WRT1900AC, WRT1900ACS, WRT3200ACM, and WRT32X routers, several of which exist in two versions that take different firmware files. If I were buying into this line today, I'd aim for the WRT3200ACM for sure. The WRT1900ACS routers are a close second. The WRT32X was marketed as a gaming router and is a bit of an odd duck with different factory firmware and somewhat different procedures for dealing with it. The 32X has been the most troublesome of the line, and I'd simply stay clear of it myself.

Back during our months of trouble with wifi drivers, before that business was resolved, a number of users just disabled wifi on the 3200ACM and used it as a great wired router, and somehow that reputation stuck in the wider dd-wrt community. But read the new-build threads to get it from the horses mouth. It's a great router.

I also love the 1900ACS, the router universally used in my little circle. The issues I have experienced: two of six routers had rare but odd glitches until I set them on USB fans blowing up. The 1900ACS design dropped the fan that some of its predecessors had. It was a mistake. And recently, after 4+ years of use, one of my 1900ACS routers lost it's 2.4G wifi. I had to reconfigure it as a 5G-only router.

As to the numerous articles on best routers for dd-wrt... It's like those "best VPNs of 2023" articles. They are horse poo. The VPN articles feature sloppily written reviews, often paid ones. Some of those review organizations are owned by the VPN firms or their parent companies. It's not a lot better with the dd-wrt articles. They parrot off each other and seem to be written by people who have never actually set up and used dd-wrt. Ignore them. Truly. The dd-wrt forums are really the only solid source for dd-wrt info.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was also this contribution pointer to a PR on github that was adopted for testing and seems to have made at least one user happy:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=334152

Also, the kaloz / OpenWRT repos are not the only resource, there has also upstream kernel development related to Marvell in general (that may or may not be applicable):

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/?qt=grep&q=marvell

But it is understood that the focus here is on QCA (and MediaTek). Anyhow, not intending to create conflict with anyone, would rather focus on the positive.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:

I highly disagree. I am using Linksys WRT3200ACM and a Linksys WRT32X. Both routers on different ISPs and the wifi on both of them have been very good.

My younger sister plays her computer games on wifi only and has not had any issues with the WiFi. Rarely any at all.

other family members have been quiet about the wifi for now. only issue now is the cable ISP.

The nintendo switch that I play mario kart often on has not had any issues with the marvell wifi at all either.

NAS is pretty neat on these routers. my computers are able to transfer large files to the NAS at approx 500-900mbps. But this is over ethernet. I have not bothered testing wifi. The only downside to the NAS is that you may end up having to restart the router if it is showing low transfer speed.

AFAIK, the ram is still showing 50/50 even when NAS features have not been enabled...

Lastly, there is internet speed. my cable provider provides us with 600mbps internet. And I am able to get approx 550-600mbps over wifi.

Therefore, I highly recommend the OP check out these routers.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
chong67
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Didn't I read long time ago that Marvell or Linksys do not want to release the drivers?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Marvell sold WiFi BT assets to NXP; mwlwifi driver was abandoned during this time, missing features, bugs remain.
Linksys drivers = proprietary, mwlwifi is open, but only firmware binary blobs shared no documentation no source.

WRT 1200 1900 series for long time had latency issues and the workaround was to disable AMSDU until this patch.
If needs are a basic AP config wireless clients happy good, otherwise cannot recommend Linksys Marvell NXP WRT.
chong67
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 23:42    Post subject: Sad Linksys Reply with quote
It is sad Linksys do not want to release drivers, yet they call their router with "WRT" on it and even say on the box "Open Source Ready!".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: