Strange Network Printer Issue

imfm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 19:03    Post subject: Strange Network Printer Issue Reply with quote
I have a Brother MFC-J480DW connected via WiFi to a Netgear R6250 which I recently installed dd-wrt on. I've had the printer for years and never had any problems with until now. I have a bunch of applications installed behind the router (pihole, webserver, pikvm, etc.) and I've had lots of issues with port conflicts since installing dd-wrt that I never had before, so that may be an issue here, but I don't know how to solve this one or even diagnose it. I've set a static IP for the printer and forwarded the ports required according to brother. As far as I know, I'm not using the ports Brother uses for any other applications:

[url]
https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52673/~/firewall-ports-needed-to-allow-network-communication-with-the-brother-machine
[/url]

I know the printer is connected and I can connect to its web interface (there's nothing really there except for info). I can even print it to using a manually installed driver. The setup software doesn't detect the printer unless I point it directly to the IP address. Then it does detect the printer, but doesn't install the drivers or at least the printer doesn't show up anywhere afterward. Similar story with the scanner, I was able to scan using Windows Fax & Scan, but not using the Brother Scanning Utility. Except now after uninstalling and reinstalling everything related to the printer, the scanner is completely gone and not accessible anywhere.

I'm on Windows 10.

Any ideas how to diagnose or fix the problem?

Basic information:

• Current DD-WRT build number in use, e.g. r49926
Firmware VersionDD-WRT v3.0-r51937 std (03/05/23)
Kernel VersionLinux 4.4.302-st37 #8841 SMP Sun Mar 5 04:35:14 +06 2023 armv7l
• Router brand / model and hardware version e.g. TP-Link Archer C7 v5
Netgear R6250
• Include operating & wireless modes e.g. Gateway, Router, AP, SB, WDS or Mesh
Router
• Web interface setup screenshots of affected areas attached to your initial post/reply
NAT/Qos -> Port Forwarding (I think is issue)

Additional troubleshooting for specific issues:
-Tried port forwarding according to Brother specifications
-Tried installing/uninstalling/reinstalling drivers several times
-Tried manual install/config of drivers (mostly works for printer, doesn't seem possible for scanner)
-Can access the printer in several ways, but still doesn't install properly. Can't use scanner at all now.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the printer is on the same network you do not need any port forwards.

Moved this to Advanced Networking forum

Edit: your Windows 10 client must be allowed to detect other things on your network, i.e. it must be on a private network and printer and file sharing/detection should be allowed.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
imfm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 22:17    Post subject: Great Points Reply with quote
egc wrote:
If the printer is on the same network you do not need any port forwards.

Moved this to Advanced Networking forum

Edit: your Windows 10 client must be allowed to detect other things on your network, i.e. it must be on a private network and printer and file sharing/detection should be allowed.

Thanks for quick response and great points. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but I was eventually able to install the printer and have it be detected properly by the driver installation software. I suspect setting the network to private was what eventually got it "working".

However, the device still isn't accessible in Brother's scanner software and the printer isn't found anywhere. I was able to get the printer working by doing the following:

Printers & Scanners -> Add printer or scanner

The printer was detected as "Copy of Brother MFC...". I was then able to print to this printer.

In addition, the scanner works, but only in the Fax & Scan app that comes with Windows. Though it does complain about the scanner not being configured correctly. I'll probably mess with it again at some point in the future and report back if I find a less janky fix.
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
So you have your shared USB printer working, however the scanner feature works with the windows native fax/scan program but not with the Brother software. That makes me think that software is not designed to be networked, or at least not through a Linux box (p910d). Therefore I think you will have either to look for an update, or ask Brother for support, or look for another application (like the one you already have).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: