Need help picking a good SFP+ router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
@DWCruiser You seem to be on a different topic. Basic troubleshooting: wait 10 minutes, reboot, 2x. Cold boot.

@Gameman Advanced Kid" x86 router solution has all features compact size same price range. NAS to SFP port.

No issues here with R8900. I feel what I have written so far in this thread speaks for itself. Free to read it again.
Sponsor
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
To be honest with you, i am a MikroTik Certified Network Associate (MTCNA). And it's the first time that i have ever heard of that strange statement by anyone about waiting ten minutes bearing no relation to my specific experience.

Anyway, few buyers of R9000 would result in cheaper prices for my customers' needs. Suits me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
For being certified you totally misunderstood what was written page 2 but you are free to be impatient during tests.
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really don't know what you're on about.

So, please don't be so presumptuous as to know how much time i spent on the topic. Especially on a public forum.

It only shows up one's arrogance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the insights blkt, good base of knowledge about R9000 problems...

and yes im patient on cold boots but 10 min is quite of a patience... Razz i do slightly turbo 2-3 min on certain models...i even dont use the button, but pull the cord from the back, so no power left in the adapter.. Wink

p.s.
very much off topic...i have a believe that stock Netgear firmware is actually OpenWRT (or fork of it) correct me if im wrong...!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913

Last edited by Alozaros on Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:15; edited 1 time in total
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
@DWCruiser I do not know why this thread is troubleshooting advanced swconfig, bridging table VLAN voodoo.
This could be lots of things the config, boot order or switches were not ready for whatever sequence of events.

It could also be that you are impatient after firmware upgrade, rebooting ASAP until you see results you want.
I also have no idea why you want me to label your issue specifically hardware or software, so labeled off-topic.

I demonstrated not all R9000 series wifi issues are hardware failure. If you gamble on purchases be informed.
Yes 10 minutes is arbitrary but after an upgrade you should be patient. Gave x86 hardware recommendation.
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
First up, you said it's a basic problem shooting knowledge of waiting for 10 minutes after flashing. I actually thought it was BS but did not want to spell it out at first for decorum reason. When i pointed out as never heard of that myself before despite being an MTCNA, you backed down to an arbitrary limit.

Well, isn't it rather nonsensical to state that your own arbitrary time limit is a basic (router) trobleshooting knowledge but my own shorter time is not? Doesn't that make your point arrogantly ignorant, at best?

Anything else you wrote in respect of my specific question re the second router reboot for R9000 seems to me to be smoke and mirrors. I am really not sure how many users you have helped with detailed answers for their issues specifically raised in relation to R9000, but i know mine.

I notice that you are involved in posting new notifications of new DDWRT f/w, i appreciate that very much. But, please be careful with language. Don't treat others as gullible as, perhaps, yourself. And lastly, citing something is NOT the same as demonstrating it. Have a look in a dictionary if you doubt me.

Wishing you a better day tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did not back down, it is what it is (be patient) and clearly you are looking for an argument about off-topic things.
You resorting to dictionary speaks volumes; I provided evidence with two different threads of successful recovery.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
good...now its time to STOP it !
as you guys are useful to many, it doesn't matter who said what just dont get the piss strings out...plz.. Embarassed
will delete my comment if it stays last Wink so, dont post more...
thread is useful as it is, but went too off topic...to a "katze pissing party" Laughing Laughing

p.s. to back up, there is a reason to wait for a bit longer, im not getting into a details there was a very old thread on the subject, but couldn't find it...atm Rolling Eyes

p.s. the OP received all the necessary info about all possible options...i guess this is the end of the thread...hope so.. Exclamation

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
CNX Software: Gowin R86S mini PC offers 2.5GbE and 10GbE networking for $310 and up & AliExpress Direct Link
https://www.servethehome.com/the-gowin-r86s-revolution-low-power-2-5gbe-and-10gbe-intel-nvidia/
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
@DWCruiser you already answered any concerns about the R9000. I dont need any more infomation from you unless its related to any hardware/software faults relating speifically to the wifi and/or life span of the router.

I am trying to say that vlans are of no main concern to me.

@blkt I think I will try to see what I can do with the hardware I have laying around. I want everything in the same box. Not in multiple boxes. I do appreciate your help though. If I cannot get x86 to work the way I want to, then I will jump to the R8900.

Specifically, I want to use the NAS feature in dd-wrt because I am used to it and I like how it works. Just need to find a small enough case to house everything I want.

EDIT: I apologize. But what I was trying to say is that if I were to go x86, I want to keep everything in one box. If its ARM, I want to keep it as simple as possible. hence one one of the reasons why I said like the way dd-wrt ksmbd works

@alozaros @kernelPanic69
Thank you for your witness accounts about the Netgear R9000 router.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
It did occur to me as that i could be seen as misunderstood in my replies to your seeking info on the reliability of Netgear R9000 with my VLAN angle. I did think about a short note to that effect, but somehow let it go past. Cool

The simple truth is via that VLAN route, i discovered the peculiar behaviour of R9000. And the 'half-awoken' state of R9000 also happened where no VLAN was used. That's a fact. I literally spent nearly two weeks on solving it, to be told by some young turk as being ...impatient!

Anyway, i don't need to explain any more. And this is sadly, my last post on DDWRT. Too much time for little gain for me. Except for an ego trip.

Cheers and bye.

Navigation

Jump to: