R8500 - Brainslayer build killing wifi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
securedparty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 19:17    Post subject: R8500 - Brainslayer build killing wifi Reply with quote
Netgear R8500.

I have recently used 'netgear-r8500-webflash-r51576.bin' at the suggestion of another forum user to get a work around for an issue with an isolated wireless subnet for a VAP. The router is being used as a wireless access point, but also has OpenVPN running: so I was trying to work around that.

Unfortunately, the one build I used from BS killed the wifi. The config showed up in the interface, but the wireless didn't broadcast. On another router, an R7000, the BS build did not present any issues.

Anyone with R8500, can you recommend a build that hasn't killed their wifi?
Sponsor
FDM80
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Usually the R8500's Wi-Fi will die when the firmware is upgraded and a reset to factor defaults are done in the same step. Typically a user can avoid that issue by upgrading the firmware, then if desired, reset to factory defaults afterwards as a separate step.

I suggest you downgrade to the Kong build in this post as an interim step.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1231017#1231017

His old builds do a good job with getting the Wi-Fi working. Then once you confirm everything is working, grab the latest R8500 firmware from a few days ago and do an upgrade and make sure you do not reset to factor defaults.

Last edited by FDM80 on Sun Mar 12, 2023 0:06; edited 1 time in total
securedparty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will give that a go. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: