[SOLVED] R7000 | Latest factory (2022-02) to latest dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no R7000 TFTP recovery by holding reset during power on & LED blinking to indicate TFTP mode enabled.
Routers that do have this mode, by holding reset during power on, blink continuously and wait for user to upload.

R7000, as evidenced by users in this forum and my own experience, will only blink & wait if there is CRC failure.
Why is nmrpflash so helpful? It waits to create right conditions, especially with safer timeouts -t 10000 -T 10000.

Sure, a reset button after power on helps you to find a very brief TFTP time window and restart the boot process.
This is totally unnecessary to reset the R7000; nmrpflash instead sends a magic packet number during power on.
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
regarding the recovery. the r7000 is pretty easy to recover just by tftp and the reset button. push the reset button until the power led blinks and send the file with tftp to 192.168.1.1. but it has to be the chk file. but there is one problem with some netgear routers. it will only accept files with a size limit. so maybe some current builds are to big for beeing used as recovery file.

Alozaros wrote:
R7000 has a TFTP build in and its quick and useful with less hassle.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

TFTP on my R7000 never failed...

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yet again you fail to read, also there is no conflict. All this noise about facts and inaccuracy where there is nothing.

People had problems with R7000 TFTP so I reproduced, verified issues. Easiest most reliable method is nmrpflash.
My replies from February and March 2022 answered all OP questions, yet your replies are just to pick apart words.

Have plenty examples people soft bricking their routers, continuous blinking power white LED TFTP recovery mode.
This is not in debate and in this case it is super easy to TFTP, a blinking power LED gives you all the time you need.

Also, plenty examples of R7000 users struggling to recover who were expecting reset button to enable TFTP mode.

So it's very misleading to repeat insist TFTP recovery with the reset button as the time window is during power on,
especially with a verified easier reliable solution that also happens to use same brief time window during power on.

So you can do reset after power on? Fine enjoy. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. Don't want to take my word for it?
redhawk0 wrote:
Set static IP on rig
I used a switch inline
Press Reset button on R7000 unit
Setup tftp using PumpKIN
used the R7000-V1.0.7.2_1.1.93.chk file to put it to the 192.168.1.1 address
Power cycled router. As soon as Power is amber and port is amber hit the start button on PumpKIN.
Flash takes 2-3 minutes...then it wait until it reboots and power LED will come on white....along with the wireless LEDS.
Wait a good 5 minutes...then power cycle.
So if you want to cycle for amber Power & ETH LEDs to perfectly time a TFTP transfer, realize only power is needed.

However disappointing, you wanted to argue in circles about a method I am already recommending with nmrpflash.
Difference is nmrpflash does perfect timing already & user can simply focus on powering the router after enter key.
Also, nmrpflash has a readme speficially for R7000 to relax timeouts basically guarantees the flash will go through.
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Confirmed what bklt said is true. I brought out my Netgear R7000 and R7800.

to Clarify, The Netgear R7000 is a Broadcom unit. The Netgear R7800 is a Qualcomm Atheros unit.

I tested this on both routers. Held down the power button and powered on while still holding the power button.

For the Netgear R7000, it did not show a white blinking light. even after 30 seconds. Would proceed to boot normally instead after letting go of the reset button.

For the Netgear R7800, it showed a white blinking light after maybe 15-20 seconds. I didnt bother counting. Anyway, I used the "Draytek Router recovery tools" to flash the r7800 and it worked.

Therefore, what bklt said is true. I mean I had to re-read it a few times so that I can grasp what bklt was trying to say and not what I think he was trying to say.

Moral of the story? I dont know. what are you doing speed reading on a website about router firmware? Speed limit is "slow studying".

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
This should clarify the confusion introduced by others (not me):

Alozaros wrote:
you can start recovery tftpd by pressing reset button, then power on, count till 15 and tftpd is started and you can tftp a new firmware to the router

you will need tftp32
http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

if this doesn't help...than return it...serial is too challenging for beginners unless you r not...

There was no change in the code for the CFE for this and similar SoCs for Netgear, but the only change(s) specific to the R7000:

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Netgear_R7000

Quote:
Netgear requested FCC certification for the R7000 again on 12/17/2018 under PY318300420. This version has been internally redesigned, likely to cut manufacturing costs. Some minor components (RAM/FEM/etc.) may have changed but the same Broadcom chips are still used.

Netgear R7000 not flashable?

Perhaps the lead developer was in error in his statement quoted earlier, but these SoCs should then go with "ping, power, put" or "ping, put, power". Maybe this forum should be sanitized of all confusing information instead of creating an environment of personal attack? You boys enjoy comparing your tools <lol>

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: