Is my NVRAM dead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
a15995
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:07    Post subject: Is my NVRAM dead? Reply with quote
Hello!

It's been a while since I was last in the forum because everything has just worked.

That is, until yesterday.

I upgraded my computers mobo which changed the mac adress of that device. Since I distribute IP adresses based on mac adresses I wanted to update this in the router.

Worked fine but when I tried doing the same in the QoS section (QoS based on mac adress) the firmware responded by deleting all entries in that section.

Well, I'll just restore my settings but in doing so the router reset to default after an apparent successful restore.

Well, I'll just upgrade the firmware and restore my settings.

Firmware did the same thing and I realized I couldn't even update or downgrade to other versions.

I did some testing - ssh'ing with some file transfers and DD-WRT appear to refuse all transfers to/from the device above 32 kb - which means I cannot restore my settings by CLI (and only one setting at a time in GUI).

So, long story short:
    Is there a way to "format" the device/NVRAM by other means?
    Is the NVRAM on the router dead?
    Other ways to test?
    Other ways to get my internet back?

All ideas welcome before I RMA the device/buy a replacement...

By the way, my DD-WRT version stated in the signature is not correct - it's more likely in the 47xxx-std. Will update as soon as I get access...

Thanks,

Install guide: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320614

Last edited by a15995 on Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:14; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
in general to clear the nvram you use via ssh
nvram erase
reboot

router will reboot and start with basic/default settings, if you have a not corrupted back up, you can load it via GUI...just do not restore back up from different builds, rebuild router settings manually, from scratch instead..

if you update to a new build..its highly recommended to erase nvram and rebuild manually
i export my settings page by page to pdf or print to pdf, than its easy to copy paste..
or via txt file than copy paste...i know it could take hours Cool

as i know you, you are running a complex set up and some things could need a new approach..
give us a call if something looks not working or there is a new option that you'd need to know more about it..
the last build contains lot of updated binaries and security fixes...
the last build is 51887 and its still WIP for few things but it's stable for me and my set up, check the SVN tack for the new changes...since your old build, those are a lot... Cool

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
a15995
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
in general to clear the nvram you use via ssh
nvram erase
reboot

router will reboot and start with basic settings if you have a not corrupted back up, you can load it via GUI...just do not restore back up from different builds, rebuild router settings manually from scratch instead..

if you update to a new build..its highly recommended to erase nvram and rebuild manually
i export my settings page by page to pdf or print to pdf than its easy to copy paste..
to via txt file than copy paste...i know it could take an hours Cool

I did the "nvram erase && reboot" and I get the concept of reentering by hand. And like you said it'll take hours and could go wrong by every save.

And what'll happen when I click apply?

At some point point I'd really like to export the settings and be able to restore later on.

I'm just not sure of the state of the NVRAM - that's why I'd like to clean it completely - like going back to stock firmware and start over. Clean sheet.

Should I start over like suggested here: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=322224&sid=f565baa3edd67968abb361d11b71b3bc

blkt wrote:
Eh, no. Wildlion already gave you a direct link to instructions on how to update from command line via Telnet/SSH.

cd /tmp

wget ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/11-21-2019-r41586/tplink_tl-mr3220v1/tl-mr3220v1-webflash.bin

write tl-mr3220v1-webflash.bin linux

reboot

If your router bricks please don't blame me. This is an example that you should understand first before execution.

Meaning, will a web-flash (first flash) do any good to that end?

Thanks,

Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
on the newer build to cli flash

CLI Flash: 'cd /tmp' then 'wget {file URL}' (http only) or 'curl -O {file URL}' (http, https, ftp). 'write {file} linux' then 'reboot'.

i use curl instead as it works for https or ftp

so on my R7800 cli upgrade with reset will look like this

cd /tmp

curl -O https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/02-28-2023-r51887/netgear-r7800/dd-wrt-webupgrade.bin

write dd-wrt-webupgrade.bin linux &

nvram erase

reboot

when you add your settings manually..i mainly click save, as if you click apply it will restart some services..so you decide when to click apply..

when i manual rebuild i do save only and at some point reboot, than continue..than save after i finish with any page, than continue unless reboot is not needed..i prefer not to apply settings on certain pages...but reboot...

for example on the newer builds commands section when you click save to firewall script, it will restart some services related to firewall and it gets sluggish..and you have to wait..those to restart for some time..

there is a new save to usb option, which you use to put some commands and scripts that are executed on/from usb, so those will be triggered once usb is mounted..at the correct time..

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
a15995
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 16:09    Post subject: IT WORKS! Reply with quote
It's all very strange.

Left the router OFF all night, started it up after work and tried to restore my settings.

Everything worked!

Don't know what happened and don't care.

At least for now I don't have to input everything manually.

Thanks for your suggestions which I may need at a later time...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: