Which toolchain is currently required?

flyingfishfinger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:29    Post subject: Which toolchain is currently required? Reply with quote
Hi,
I'd like to make some minor modifications to the firmware, I think the firmware modification kit is not enough (for changing kernel command line parameters).

So I've downloaded the sources, but I'm unsure which toolchains are needed - the full archive extracts to more than 30GB and has EVERY architecture.

The wiki article mentions the 3.4.6 and 4.1.0 mipsl uclibc, is that still correct? I feel like that's pretty old. If yes, where do I find them, they are not obviously preset. If no, which ones from the latest toolchain archive are the correct ones? The attached screenshot is what is in the archive.

I'm building this on x64 Ubuntu 22.04, FYI.

Cheers
R

Cropped.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.46 KB
 Viewed:  3493 Time(s)

Cropped.jpg

Sponsor
mwchang
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:11    Post subject: Re: Which toolchain is currently required? Reply with quote
flyingfishfinger wrote:
So I've downloaded the sources, but I'm unsure which toolchains are needed - the full archive extracts to more than 30GB and has EVERY architecture.

The wiki article mentions the 3.4.6 and 4.1.0 mipsl uclibc, is that still correct? I feel like that's pretty old. If yes, where do I find them, they are not obviously preset. If no, which ones from the latest toolchain archive are the correct ones? The attached screenshot is what is in the archive.

"uname -a" has some information about your router's CPU?

And if you really wanna compile your firmware, learn to use the recovery mode and possibly the serial connection in your router. Your custom firmware might brick your router if not done correctly.

You also need some special instructions the last time I asked about compiling my own firmware.

You might consider cross-compiling your router's FIRMWARE using Ubuntu.

Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper! May the Force and farces be with you!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/changmanwai
SETI@Home profile: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=211832
GitHub: https://github.com/changmw/changmw
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
There used to be one way to get the information via CLI (using strings?), but now only 'cat /proc/version' gives you any clue. The current toolchains in use are not the ones on the main website, I don't think. The wiki article is old and outdated. Sir egc is familiar enough with things that he can point you in the right direction. I was already scolded for offering anything of use, so not going to offer anything "questionable" in the eyes of certain folk. A forum search via the web can sometimes glean fruit:

Updated toolchains?

which toolchain to use? mipsel_3.3.6_BRCM24 wont work anymore

Toolchain for the dd-wrt builds? (for kmod compilation)

Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Netgear Toolchain!

[Split] Compiling DD-WRT (possibly missing a LOT of information that was in the original thread, unfortunately)

MIPS/ Atheros Toolchain (ancient history, do not use this info)

compile own programs (more ancient history, just for fun)

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: