R7800 no IP adress / no network connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
CoNtAcT2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 20:16    Post subject: R7800 no IP adress / no network connection Reply with quote
Hello guys,

i need your help. Since years i use a R7800 without any problems.
Since a few months i got connection issues.

After a fresh installation with dd-wrt, the router runs for a couple of days and then out of nowhere none of my clients gets an DHCP address. i cannot ping the lan ip of the router, even if i get my computer a static ip.

Sometimes i can connect to the webinterface with my mobile phone via wifi, reboot the router and then it works again. But mostly i need to reset the device completely, import my backup and then the device runs again for a couple of days.

I think it all started with an update to a newer version, but I don't remember my old working version. It´s the same behavoir from r50927 and newer versions. Didnt´s checked much older versions.

dmesg | grep bad => no entrys

Suggestions what can I do or where´s the problem?

Regards

CoNtAcT2000
Sponsor
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
If i were in your case, i would:

1. reflash R7800 with a firmware version, say 51440, with 'Reset to Factory Defaults' selected (at 'After Flashing option'). This ensures that any potential 'gremlin' in the router's OS is cleaned out.

2. restore the last backup before last firmware flashing (I always religiously do a backup of the router, before any new firmware update.). The backup name might give you a hint of what the last firmware version the router has on it!

Take your time at each step. Don't rush.

If its behavior is not back to normal as you expect, unfortunately, you'll need to redo 1, followed by manually entering the settings again.

My suggestion of steps above is based on the exact causes not being identified. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
DWCruiser wrote:
If i were in your case, i would:

1. reflash R7800 with a firmware version, say 51440, with 'Reset to Factory Defaults' selected (at 'After Flashing option'). This ensures that any potential 'gremlin' in the router's OS is cleaned out.

i reflashed the router a few times already with different firmware versions - also with factory reset and manualy entering all settings. And if i reset it via the button on the backside its on factory defaults too.
But the problem stays the same.

I didnt have an older backup anymore.
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps, try a different power adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
it works couple of days/a week then stops working and if i reset the device it is working fine again. For me that didnt sounds like a problem with the power adapter.

For me it looks like a problem with the dhcp service. Because none of the clients can renew their addresses. i got several error/warning messages in windows event log.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Power Adapter issues...or ...client compatibility issues...or bad set up issues....
as we don't know much about, services used, radio, clients router settings and ect. more details provided make diagnose more accurate...all the rest is just guessing Cool

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
CR_Apollo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
CoNtAcT2000 wrote:
it works couple of days/a week then stops working and if i reset the device it is working fine again. For me that didnt sounds like a problem with the power adapter.

For me it looks like a problem with the dhcp service. Because none of the clients can renew their addresses. i got several error/warning messages in windows event log.

Check your clients attached to network.

But as mentioned, more details will help. All settings used and stuff like that. I'd start looking for computer running odd on the network, too. If rebooting brings everything back, something on the network might be causing this.

Unless you have some odd configurations, I can definitely say that the R7800 runs amazingly with DD-WRT. Never had any issues with known tested builds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: