Access Point mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
theBrave
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 13:26    Post subject: Access Point mode Reply with quote
Hello,

I will have internet access throught my ISP's modem-router. It is said to have wifi and dhcp and I want to access from everywhere. Problem is, there are too many walls and I can't have internet in all rooms. I use an CPL (ethernet over powerline) to get internet but I want wireless access. So I need another router.

Do you think the "Access Point" mode is what I need, I want all computers (wired and wireless) to obtain adress from the modem, I don't want a subnetwork.

I was thinking about buying the Asus wl-500gP, do you think it's a good choice ?

Then I want to share files with the SMB (Windows) protocol, simply by connecting an hardrive to it's USB ports like. Is it possible even with the dd-wrt firmware ? Even enabling USB ports seems to be difficult. (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB)

Thanks.
Sponsor
stevech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
suggestion
One wireless router, running DD-WRT of course!
One or more access points connected by wire to the w-router.

An access point can be purchased as such, or
most any cheap w-router can be configured as an access point, saving money.
You could buy a $20 w-router and make it be an access point using the factory software.

connect pc to new cheap w-router. Set pc's address to the same subnet as the user manual says the product defaults to.
configure cheap w-router as AP: disable DHCP. Set SSID and WEP or WPA to same as your main w-router. Give cheap w-router a static IP in the same range as your main-router, but outside its DHCP pool range.

connect it to w-router using LAN port. Don't use WAN port. Place it to improve coverage - using long cat 5 cable in attic or whatever.
theBrave
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok thank you very much, I'll come back this week-end to try all these.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: