Recommended Router Update

DBB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:12    Post subject: Recommended Router Update Reply with quote
Would it be possible to get an updated sticky on recommended routers?

I realize this is a tireless topic for the admins and gurus and certainly don't want to step on any toes after all the years of hard work from the team, but the last recommended list is going on 2 years old. Does everyone agree that we are to stand pat with the current list?

Problem is, even the rebranded routers on the list are hard to find at this point, unless you're willing to buy used or refurbished. Am I missing something, or is DD-WRT sort of fading away? All the new vendor hardware seems to be pushing WiFi6.

At this point, would it be better to try and run DD-WRT on a PC? Or is it safe to go with a service such as Flashrouter (from what I've seen, the routers there are on the lower-end side)?

Again, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but my router is getting some age, and the number of devices it supports is at around 50 and increasing. I haven't updated the firmware since 2018.

I need some honest recommendations.

Thanks for all the help.
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are no possible changes to the recommendations. This is and always will be a topic of ire in this community until people step up to provide hardware donations of more current possibly supportable wifi6 routers -- that are *NOT* Broadcom.

Highly recommend you upgrade firmware from your obsolete and vulnerability-filled 2018 version.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
R7800, XR450, XR500, R7500v2, EA8500 (serial flash), x86 (one, two, three).
WikiDevi: R7800 (XR450/XR500), R7500v2, EA8500, R9000 (R8900/XR700).

IMO 802.11ax or wifi 6 wasn't fully baked out of the oven and now we have 6E hardware.
Open source driver support? Anyway things will not be interesting until 802.11be Wi-Fi 7.

If I were to buy right now x86 performance per watt is guaranteed maybe choose radio.
Also, simply choose external access points all fed by Ethernet. Very nice! Great success!
DBB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
If I were to buy right now x86 performance per watt is guaranteed maybe choose radio.
Also, simply choose external access points all fed by Ethernet. Very nice! Great success!

I’ll check out those modules, but could you point me to the PC builds? I looked into this once before quite a while back but I don’t think I found the right resources.

As far as access points, I’m already using mesh attached via Ethernet and have my router radios disabled, so all things equal, this sounds like the better option.
DBB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
There are no possible changes to the recommendations.

What I was afraid of…

Quote:
Highly recommend you upgrade firmware from your obsolete and vulnerability-filled 2018 version.

Understood, but my router seemed to have several non-compatible files available, and it took a long time to get to this working version, so I’m half afraid to.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will presume that your router is a unicorn "Netgear DIR-890" (I'm sure you meant D-Link). The most recent report full of speculation (unfounded, I might add, as the nas daemon binary is not compiled form source code on public or private resources) is in this build thread:

New Build - 09/10/2022 - r50146

This is where lack of reporting and sharing of issues with associated screenshots as well as not following established configuration practices seems to just wreak havoc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=DIR-890L+site%3Aforum.dd-wrt.com

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
DBB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
I will presume that your router is a unicorn "Netgear DIR-890" (I'm sure you meant D-Link). The most recent report full of speculation (unfounded, I might add, as the nas daemon binary is not compiled form source code on public or private resources) is in this build thread:

New Build - 09/10/2022 - r50146

Good catch on the DIR-890. I’ve had Netgear on the brain while trying to find something new. I’ll look through the thread you provided and try to see what the skinny is.

Last go-round was a mess, and having to flash back to stock each time was a major pain. That’s when I thought I might try a Kong build, but I see that those have dried up, too.

Thanks!
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quite honestly, without any further information on your configuration, system/kernel logs, and/or serial console logs, there is nothing fruitful to be had from discussion of any kind - especially, an "it't broke - fix it" type of discussion. That user's post(s) show(s) obvious disregard for recommended wifi settings, among other things. Since it is highly doubtful that the lead developer has 100% of supported devices in hand, there is no way to custom-tailor default settings and relying on them to be completely benign of possible issues has never been a recommended practice in this community. Of course, the consensus as of late is to go with Atheros-based R7800/XR450/XR500, which may or may not be possible, as you've already alluded to. It's hard to support wifi6 devices as most vendors have put safeguards in place to prevent 3rd party firmware installation or there are other things preventing support - especially with Broadcom - so as to feed the planned obsolescence method of making money off the shiny new squirrels.

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
DBB wrote:
...could you point me to the PC builds?...
blkt wrote:
...x86 (one, two, three)...
blkt wrote:
...If I were to buy right now x86 performance per watt...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: