limit (download bandwidth Olny) Not browsing ...

DLink-DIR825M
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:18    Post subject: limit (download bandwidth Olny) Not browsing ... Reply with quote
I have a suggestion for this platform which is to separate downloading from browsing , By setting a new feature, which is to limit the download speed only, and its specifications are as follows:

1. Browsing time:
It is the time that if the connection exceeds it, its speed is limited

2. Browsing speed limit:
It is the allowed browsing speed, which if the connection exceeds, its speed is limited

3. download limmit:
finally, it is the limit we need for the connection..

Example:

A connection to port 443 if it is exceeds 20 Mbps for 10 seconds then we limit it to 5 Mbps Smile

it will be a wonderfull function ...
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
As you are suggesting it, could you make it work...if not, it sounds like a kids dream...

Some of the limitations you can do with the current firmware(netfilter rules/iptables and ect.), some may need additional packages installed via entware on USB...so, its up to your skills and knowledge to make it...as you wont get a free lunch that easy peasy.....
i believe...

I know you can do quotas that can impose some limits after the client excite the quota, but this is on another firmware...that i use...for it..

So, suggestions must be bound with possibilities...otherwise it sounds like a kids wish...
Building a firmware is a complex task that requires lots of interactions and it has a certain limitations... Cool

Imagine, if i suggest all the weapons to be destroyed and than the steel to be used for building purposes...or move humans to mars, it would be a super duper new option/idea Razz Razz but i dont know how.. Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad and it's more likely sounds as impossible...
Do you know any other firmware that can handle your wishes..??

DDWRT is very versatile and flexible but it has certain limitations due to the hardware limits on the various hardware that it runs on...and to compile and add many futures as you want you'd need a
lots of resources to handle the hard work CPU power, RAM complex kernels and ect....routers are simple devices with simple task's. + the time that developers have to spend and the fact that firmware its free and everyone here contributes towards it..

Im sorry if i destroyed your kids dream.. Embarassed

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
DLink-DIR825M
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
mikrotik do this Laughing
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
DLink-DIR825M wrote:
mikrotik do this Laughing

via iptable you can do the same thing as mikrotic uses iptables/ipset...so you can:
-stick to mikrotik
-install full version of netfilter/iptables and use -m limit and some other modes/rules to impose those limits..(router/model firmware number does matter)...

As i said, with iptables/ipset you can do lots of stuff, as far as you know what you are doing...and know how, anything is possible...but than again if you want free lunch and someone to do your job and wrap all the stuff with code and make it easy peasy via web interface..hmmm Rolling Eyes Embarassed Cool...suggestions are welcome but only if those are possible...and sometimes...not that possible..
To be honest i use quotas and happy days but than again router model hardware matters...as those can be resource animals and that's one reason those are not presented...

also microtik looks full of extras, but has a crap performance...well.. at least those i tried back in the days, ware full of odd stuff happening...

Most of the 3rd party firmwares are basically linux...so, whatever runs on linux (kernel dependant)..will run on those firmwares...but knowledge and know how also counts...

Have fun with iptables ..
https://linux.die.net/man/8/iptables

if your router supports ipset..have fun with those too...
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327261 Cool

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: