Image won't show up as boot option

Sharpshtr338
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:11    Post subject: Image won't show up as boot option Reply with quote
Hi! for the past few days, I have been trying to get a mini pc (Ryzen 5600u) to boot from a 120gb SSD with the dd-wrt x86_64 image on it. I used the full vga image. No matter what I do, the PC will not detect the ssd as a bootable disk. I tried using physdiskwrite, I tried using dd in Manjaro (arch) and also checked to see if the partition was bootable, and it was flagged as bootable. The mini pc's BIOS is set to legacy (I also tried UEFI just for shits and giggles). I have read a few posts on here concerning some similar things, all to no avail. Any ideas would be appreciated, I have exhausted my own.
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
my first thought is that something is not getting detected in the bios correctly...

I would go into the bios and make sure that the disk is detected first... You could also try the boot menu from the bios... Even if the system is not bootable the bios would detect the disk and then provide an error message along the lines of "No bootable system found"... Are you getting to this point? If not I do not think you are having your settings correct.
If you get to that point then we can work on that error.

P.S. The "Full" versions are paid version of DD-WRT, if you have not paid for a license, you will want to use the public version, for example:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/01-25-2023-r51506/x86_64/dd-wrt_x64_public_vga.image
hebeda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
how did you write the image into the ssd ?
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use linux and just dd the image, so as a privileged user:

Code:

dd if=./dd-wrt_x64_public_vga.image of=/dev/sd(XX) status=progress

with (XX) being the drive
Sharpshtr338
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses guys!

@Wildlion - disk is detected in the BIOS, I can see it. In addition, I plugged the disk into my other PC, and it detected it as a boot device, and allowed me to boot into dd-wrt, so nothing is wrong with the disk necessarily (unless a driver is missing for this SATA controller). Also, this BIOS does not seem to have an option to attempt to boot from a specific device. I can only set boot mode type and, the order of the types of devices. If I remove everything from the machine, besides the SSD, it just boots into the BIOS.

The short summary is, the BIOS recognizes the disk, but refuses to boot to it. Do you have any ideas of what to try?

And, yup, I actually have a license and will probably buy another because I can't reuse the other one. I don't mind supporting dd-wrt a little, it's fucking awesome. If I could help with the programming end, I would, but I don't think I know enough about networking to help the devs in any real way.
Sharpshtr338
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
By the way, I have been using dd-wrt since like 2006, this is just my first attempt to use x86 hardware. Had a classic linksys BEFSR... whatever it was, and have been using it ever since.
Sharpshtr338
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just realized, I should also mention that I was originally planning on running a hypervisor on this and installed Xcp-ng to the SSD and it booted off of that just fine. So it's not the disk OR the image OR the bios - it is something with the combination of two or all three of these puzzle pieces. This is a tough one...
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not saying that this is the problem, but I have seen it happen before...

Look into the bios and look for a legacy boot option (or something similar) instead of UEFI booting.

That is the only thought I have right now
Cratebv212
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you use a usb adapter? If so, it won't fully write the image. I've always gone straight to the motherboard.

Edit: I reread the post and seen it does work in another pc. Check bios for legacy as said or update the bios.
Sharpshtr338
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks guys, but I definitely already tried that. Not sure why, but it's something with from the combination of these devices. I actually tried converting it to UEFI, and it still would not boot on the mini PC. Thanks again for the help guys, but if no one else has any ideas I guess this just isn't possible.
Cratebv212
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
How do you have the ssd attached? Straight to motherboard or through usb? I wonder if the mini pc only detects boot drives connected a certain way.
OneGuy83
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:47    Post subject: UEFI boot only. Reply with quote
I have a system that only supports UEFI booting. is DD-WRT working on supporting UEFI boot images?
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe the uEFI booting is now working it was done about a month ago. Put this build on that drive and check it again.

Use the dd-wrt_x64_public_vga.image if you want the free basic version or the dd-wrt_x64_full_vga.image if your planning on buying a license. The perks are certain WIFI cards enabled and up to 65335 active ports.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:02    Post subject: EFI images Reply with quote
Current release:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/10-20-2023-r53714/x86_64/

Public (free):

dd-wrt_x64_public_efi_serial.image
dd-wrt_x64_public_efi_vga.image

Full (paid)

dd-wrt_x64_full_efi_serial.image
dd-wrt_x64_full_efi_serial_2GB.image
dd-wrt_x64_full_efi_vga.image
dd-wrt_x64_full_efi_vga_2GB.image

Testing and feedback on the EFI images was requested around 53616-ish,

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: