Best firmware to use with TL-WR940N?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 17:11    Post subject: Best firmware to use with TL-WR940N? Reply with quote
What is, currently, the best DD-WRT firmware to use in the TP-Link TL-WR940N (Versions 3 through 6)? We've had good luck with r39267 and are still using it despite its age and bugs related to bridging between the switch ports, because some newer versions have been dicey. Which newer ones, if any, work well? We need any version we use to support PPTP properly on the WAN port.
Sponsor
matjazk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
In absence of a better answer, why don't you try the latest build and report in the build thread?
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would love to, and will probably do so. But right now, we're looking to put some routers into production and have deadlines. Also, there's no way we can match the broad experience of others who have configured the routers in many different ways and tested them in many different environments. So, we're hoping to benefit from the community's experience. That's what a community forum is about, after all!

Do you have one of these routers? What has been your experience?
dplettner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
The TL-WR940N is an older 802.11n router that you can get new on Amazon for about $25, and I imagine that most of the people reading these threads use something more current. However, there is a lot of good info if you search the board for "TL-WR940N" and you could always PM a few users. The thread "Recommended Firmware For Low Memory Routers" has some recommendations for the TL-WR940N. The thread is 3 years old but the versions recommended are newer than what you are using.

A long time ago I had a few Linksys WRT54Gs that I kept way past their prime, and I recall that keeping the firmware current got to be tricky.
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you! I did see that thread, but because the thread was old I was interested in more current information. In particular, I was wondering if problems with the internal VLAN switch were ever fixed.... The code in OpenWRT works properly and hopefully by now has been ported.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Startup script still required @ 51530 on 940N v3 AFAIK. Said router is providing a public wifi AP in a mixed client environment.

You're welcome for a now-functional firmware image for the 1043N v5.

The only way anything is going to get fixed is if someone submits patches and/or states their case properly, and we already know YOU will not touch GPL'd code. I don't provide PTB firmware images to the public for obvious reasons, and quite honestly, it pains me to post anything here considering I know for a fact that LARIAT.net has contributed $0 to DD-WRT, zero hardware donations, zero anything. Why the f*ck should we help you? You are nothing more than a nuisance at best. Moderator intervention be damned.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for being so courteous and civil.

The fact is that I've offered hardware; I've gotten no response. I've also submitted detailed bug reports. No answer.

And you're right: I won't work on GPLed code. It's a professional liability. Blame Stallman for that.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brett Glass wrote:
The fact is that I've offered hardware; I've gotten no response. I've also submitted detailed bug reports. No answer.

1. You don't "offer hardware", you ship it and email, period. How many times do you have to have this simple fact explained to you? You take every measure to ensure an "easy out", which is bullsh*t.

2. As far as you submitting reports on your own:

No tickets found

You are cc'd on one ticket:

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6300

3. Otherwise, it's commenting on others' tickets (what detailed reports?):

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6682
    https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5578

4. I'm not going to link all of your forum posts, because it's probably not going to give any more fruit or benefit or back up your claims. Anything that may have been emailed was most likely sent to /dev/null.

----------------------
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Again, thank you for your courtesy and tact. You are clearly a good choice as a moderator, because you couldn't possibly ever drive anyone away from the community or discourage that person from contributing in the future.

Not.
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Brett Glass wrote:

You don't "offer hardware", you ship it and email, period. How many times do you have to have this simple fact explained to you? You take every measure to ensure an "easy out", which is bullsh*t.

https://dd-wrt.com/donations/

And I quote

Quote:
Contact us at hardwaredonation@dd-wrt.com before sending the device and tell us what hardware you are sending. That’s because we sometimes get requests from customs and they do not tell us what´s inside the package.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
@GAK:

Semantics, and I didn't look at the page again before posting that Rolling Eyes Still, "offering to send" and "Hey, I am sending this device" are two separate things entirely, hence my point. You have to understand that "Brett" wasn't gonna send it if he didn't have to. The less he has to do to enjoy the fruits of others' labor, the better for him. He'd rather yammer on about what color the bike shed is, anyway.

Brett Glass wrote:
Again, thank you for your courtesy and tact. You are clearly a good choice as a moderator, because you couldn't possibly ever drive anyone away from the community or discourage that person from contributing in the future.

Not.

Please check my status again. I haven't been a moderator for some time. And you have *never* positively contributed anything here, ever. Take that nonsense out the door. At least I'm still on good terms with the *BSD community Rolling Eyes

----------------------
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, in that case, thank you for creating a friendly and welcoming environment. Your insults and hostility (and obtuse remarks about bikesheds) certainly create a welcoming environment!
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
my two cents...
-if you want to use DDWRT for commercial use..and make money out of it...have some decency and
contact the main developer and discuss the matter, as he may provide you with better solution, than
use a free firmware and ask for more...and for free..
-routers with 4MB flash size ram slowly but surely become obsolete, as well those have slow CPU and
not that capable hardware..
-consider routers like Netgear R6400 v1 or R6400v2 or R7000 or even R7800 have very accessible price
on the second hand market, and those could deliver much better price/performance value...
-its more than obvious that kernel-panic69 as well some other members pointed you out in the correct direction..please appreciate the devoted time as we all doing it for free..
-i believe that you can get a much better offer/solution may be tailored firmware, if you make a professional offer directly to the main developer..if you need to know any contact details please kindly ask...
-moreover as you have been here since 2010 you should ve known that "best firmware or stable firmware" is very relevant to what you use your router for..in various details...
-best way to find it "test and devotion"... Rolling Eyes

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -DD-WRT 55303 Gateway/DoT,Forced DNS,Ad-Block,Firewall,x4VLAN,VPN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not asking "for more, for free;" not even asking the developer for anything at this point. Just asking the community for information on which version of an (admittedly buggy) piece of software works best.

I do contribute to other open source projects which are ethically licensed (i.e. do not use viral licenses), and some of that work has almost certainly made it back to DD-WRT. The odds of some of my code NOT being in it are actually very small.

In any case, there's no need for hostility or rudeness. Folks who exhibit it are sure to discourage me and others from ever directly contributing financially or in kind.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brett Glass wrote:
In any case, there's no need for hostility or rudeness. Folks who exhibit it are sure to discourage me and others from ever directly contributing financially or in kind.

If people want something very much and are ready to pay the effort for it, nothing can stop them..even to go to the moon...finding a reasons not to..just makes them look week... Cool

No one is hostile, but you find it that way, couse you don't get the free lunch...
If you believe people here and around don't have a jobs and have tons of spare time to find the correct firmware to your needs..aghhh you are wrong..m8

You can have a look about your router in the new builds threads reports, sadly this unit is not that popular, so the only way to find it, is test to find .. and we both know its not an easy job...so, you are the only one to find it....have fun..lots of fun !

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -DD-WRT 55303 Gateway/DoT,Forced DNS,Ad-Block,Firewall,x4VLAN,VPN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913

Last edited by Alozaros on Thu Feb 16, 2023 17:21; edited 1 time in total
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: