Limiting bandwidth for guest wifi network

invisible
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:51    Post subject: Limiting bandwidth for guest wifi network Reply with quote
I have added guest (virtual) WAP, enabled Net isolation, unbridged, added new DHCP server for wlan0.1, applied, rebooted, all works. Fine.

Now I want to limit download/upload speed for the guest network to 20mbt/5mbit and reduce to zero BitTorrent usage with the guest WLAN.

I went to NAT/QoS->QoS, added interface priority and netmask priority, apply, reboot. However it does not have the desired effect - DL/UL speed is not restricted as well DL of torrents.

What did I miss?
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
router model and firmware number always matter...when missing it doesn't make things easier : PRazz
-other details missing: if SFE is off..(it should be, if guest network is added)..

I can see a various overlapping QoS settings..and bear in mind QoS has a big big toll on the CPU and performance...if your router has slow CPU those settings will not work as they should...as CPU..
cannot handle it...especially with ndpi blocking/limiting of services...
Finally do not expect miracle performance form a low class slow router...for best QoS an in general you'd need a PC box running X86 or X64 DDWRT...

My R9000 cannot handle it, if i select many QoS services and has a lot of traffic ..so, i dont use it..
There is this Wiki (a bit outdated) but i guess you have to select a different Packet Scheduler and Qu Discipline as those are updated and there are some other options..

To be precise im not entirely sure if QoS will work on the guest and not interfere with the other non guest radio as those share the same hardware..

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

P.S. QoS i dont know any consumer router that has a perfect or even working QoS...for this you may need an enterprise level gear or just another router as a WAP ... Rolling Eyes

For Quota's and very basic QoS,i prefer to use another 3rd party firmware...and there i have not a solid performance neither...(due to the router slow CPU i guess) Laughing Razz

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found QoS works on Netgear R9000 in my current setting. And on previous Netgear R7800 and R7000. All runs DDWRT.

I could be wrong. But i am 95% sure that unless some other device/s with priority download/upload, that reduce/s the available bandwidth at the same time, a device will get all the available bandwidth otherwise.

The very idea behind QoS is to minimize buffering effects on streaming Internet videos and the like. In other words, QoS settings needs not apply when there is NO competing priority taking place at the same time.

I actually followed the same article as mentioned by @Alozaros, https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service. (I happen not to use Services Priority and Ethernet port Priority). I'd suggest a good read. Maybe even for a second time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
router model and firmware number always matter...when missing it doesn't make things easier : PRazz
-other details missing: if SFE is off..(it should be, if guest network is added)..

It is Linksys WRT-1900AC, Load average in 99.99% of the time is 0.00, 0.00, 0.00. There is not much traffic anyway.

What SFE stands for?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shortcut Forwarding Engine. The option is on the Setup -> Basic Setup page.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
invisible
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Shortcut Forwarding Engine. The option is on the Setup -> Basic Setup page.

Yes, it is disabled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: