Alexa Show 5 Off-line problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
MesMurized
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:57    Post subject: Alexa Show 5 Off-line problems Reply with quote
Another weird and recent (2+ months) behavior:

Ask Alexa a question and more than likely it will respond with "Sorry, something went wrong". Ask again, same, but wait a minute or 2, ask again and it responds. Wait ~10 minutes and the problem returns.

Further investigation shows it's off-line (via Alexa app). But why? A complete reset and reconfigure did not help. Echo dots (2), Google Home, and a variety of smart switches, lights, phones, cameras, etc do not experience this weird behavior.

This started about 2+ months ago. While it could be a faulty device, I am very suspicious. It started around the same time as this ( https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=333811 ). Summary: JuiceSSH extra characters.

WiFi configuration is stock using Vanilla drivers. Alexa Show is 2.4GHz wlan1, JuiceSSH (via OP7Pro) is 5GHz wlan0.

Syslog has nothing special. Even when it " !?reconnects???! " no additional log info.

Wonder if my R9000 has a gremlin Rolling Eyes

Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing Alexa is a naughty bird...its a known behaviour not DDWRT related...it tends to happen when its servers are busy...there are no perfect girls anyway Laughing Laughing Laughing
There are few Alx's in my company and ive seen it...too...so refer to the Amazon forums.. Rolling Eyes

To be honest, personally i stay away form any smart voice device and usually isolate those on their own bridge/vlan/subnet even own router with VPN as safety measure...also update its firmware whenever there is available one, and use an encrypted communication with its servers...so, nobody can see your data...to be honest Alexa, Sonos, printers and ect. will try to discover/connect to any local device...using upnp or some other ways...so, im not happy with that...

There was a even hack on Al'xa to monitor its communication, but they updated and fixed the hole...
I do agree those could be useful, but ...im an old school guy i dont pick anything that shines gold...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: