[DESTROYED] "access point" "no internet"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's a lot of topics! I guess I have my reading for the next day or so!

I started here: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery

Sponsor
pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm concerned that this is beyond m skill level / outside of my skillset. It appears that I would have to solder on the router PCB, correct?
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
pmarion wrote:
I'm concerned that this is beyond m skill level / outside of my skillset. It appears that I would have to solder on the router PCB, correct?

From the looks of this picture, soldering would be optimal but with a helper 🙋 the wires
could be held in place by hand.

Just have to figure out what goes where.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can send me the device and I can install the header and get the developer the info needed; if you want it back after, then we'll need to discuss further in PM. Not sure why it's balking at de-bricking without serial, but I don't have any similar (Netgear) routers in inventory (yet).
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
You can send me the device and I can install the header and get the developer the info needed; if you want it back after, then we'll need to discuss further in PM. Not sure why it's balking at de-bricking without serial, but I don't have any similar (Netgear) routers in inventory (yet).

Well, I ordered the cable, so I might as well try. It's not bricked, it just won't flash that version via the GUI.
I would solder it myself, but my hands shake badly these days. (Gettin' old ain't for sissies!) I'll see if my wife can hold the wires in place.
I tried again with the old build that is on it. I disabled WAN, added the existing router as the DNS server and gateway, set the SSIDs, yada yada yada. It still shows "connected, no internet" when I connect to it. However, the Belkin N600 does the same thing, so I'm thinking I may have to change something on the C2300, although I'm not sure what. A static route, perhaps?

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe you can get lucky enough to roll back to a working version and then test command line flash to see where it breaks. As already stated, if the usual methods of TFTP / recovery mode / etc. (even nmrpflash) cannot de-brick it to stock or previous trailed firmware image file for 33772. I would avoid the pin short method of recovery, as it can further damage the router.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Maybe you can get lucky enough to roll back to a working version and then test command line flash to see where it breaks. As already stated, if the usual methods of TFTP / recovery mode / etc. (even nmrpflash) cannot de-brick it to stock or previous trailed firmware image file for 33772. I would avoid the pin short method of recovery, as it can further damage the router.

It is not bricked. It has a "working" version (the one referenced in the original post) installed.
It just does not connect to the internet.

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so we ran in a circle for nothing, but we still need to know why current version(s) won't flash. The original issue was already addressed and advice given.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, wait a minute. You asked me, "please", to provide you with serial output after I told you it was not bricked, and based upon that request, I purchased a serial cable that I have no other use for. Now you are telling me that we "ran in a circle for nothing" and that advice was given (that did not solve the problem.)

So now you're washing your hands of the matter?

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
In consecutive post order:

pmarion wrote:
I think it bricked it.
I flashed it and waited 10 minutes, and could not access. rebooted, waited 10 minutes, could not access, factory reset, after 10 min, still cannot access.
Sad

dale_gribble39 wrote:
We need serial console output most likely for the developer; and this is where command line flashing comes in handy. This is why I linked the device wiki, the intention was not necessarily to go all the way to current, but the last non-forum-reported known good build, first. I second the notion to report in the build thread for developer review.

Also, I don't know of a cable modem with 4 WAN ports. Usually, unless your upstream connection is ethernet, they are LAN ports. If you require assistance in setting up serial console to get output from the device (hopefully), let us know.

----------
pmarion wrote:
Not bricked! It was HOT! I powered it off for an hour or so, and when I fired it back up, it was fine. The firmware did NOT flash, however. (I did clear browser cache.) I guess I'll try again.

EDIT: Flashed it again, did the 30-30-30, router is hot again and will not load the GUI or respond to ping. Powering off for a while again, at least until it's cool.

EDIT2: Confirmed that it won't flash to that new version (using the GUI). Although it seems to go through the flash process, after all is said and done, it remains the same firmware. I even used a browser I had not used with this router this time, so it's definitely not cache.

dale_gribble39 wrote:
So, we will still need serial console output / command line flash output to determine what the problem is with the firmware image, please. Thanks.

An as suggested in underlined italics, command line flashing via ssh may also yield some information for the developer. Do not put words in my mouth, we still need the information as to what is broken, and I do not feel like researching back to the build after 33772 to see if there was an issue with webUI flashing that was since fixed, but it seems you've tried to flash directly to a recent build (?) and that did not work, either or no?

pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think some assumptions were made from the outset.

1) I assumed that someone here could (simply) help me to resolve an end-user problem I have, not just post links about how I can figure it out by myself. This thread was my first introduction to the forum after less than a day with the firmware.
2) I assumed that with my networking experience I could figure out how to connect an access point. We did not do wireless where (when) I was working, so there are many differences. Still, I have configured my routers over the past 10 or so years without difficulty. I've never setup a WAP or repeater before.
2) I think you assumed that I have more knowledge than I do. For example, I don't know anything about network hardware component modification or repair.
3) I committed to helping with the logs you want after attempting the firmware upgrade that was suggested.
4) I don't know how to identify what serial "pin" is what in order to connect the serial cable to it. (I don't have an electronics background, but I can use a DVOM.)
5) I don't know how to connect via tftp to a router through a serial port. Does it identify as a drive? Is a drive letter assigned?
6) How do I access the hardware in order to telnet into it? Do I tftp 192.168.1.1 somehow through a USB - Serial connection? (I'm working in Windows.)

If I could please request some tolerance with
a) Helping walk me through getting my setup working, and
b) Helping walk me through setting up the serial connection to this router in order that I may fulfill my own commitment to provide you the logs / export that will help you to help others
it would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

EDIT: Should I decide to upgrade my C2300, I will use that as my WAP and gladly send you this WNDR3400v1 so you can work through any bugs in builds. I just don't have the background, time, or desire to do so on an ongoing basis.

EDIT 2: I have also just made a small donation in order that I am not asking for something for nothing.
Order ID: DDW230127-2342-40112

pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm going back through the thread to ensure I am performing due diligence. I connect to the network, but have no internet.

Here are potential issues with which I would appreciate your help:

• Local IP address in subnet of primary router but outside DHCP scope, make sure the used IP address is unique on your network you cannot have duplicates.

I read in one of the many threads that were linked that I can also use a different subnet, and would like to leave it as 192.168.1.0/24 since the primary router is 192.168.0.0/24 and there are IP assignments all over the entire range. Do I need to set a static route in IP Forwarding to use 192.168.1.0/24 on the WAP?
-----

• Keep DNSMasq enabled (both on Basic Setup page and Services page)

I overlooked this requirement and will double check. CONFIRMED
-----

• On Setup > Advanced Routing, keep Operating mode in the default Gateway (the wiki says Router mode but do not do that, either it does not matter (this case) or break things)

I'll double check - I do not think I changed it to Router Mode. CONFIRMED
-----

• iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o br0 -j SNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)

If I was running Linux I could do this. I'm running Windows, so I don't know how to do so, and if it would even work on my C2300. What specific firewall rule(s) do I need to create via the C2300 router GUI, please?

Thank you.

Last edited by pmarion on Fri Jan 27, 2023 20:05; edited 1 time in total
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can't use 192.169.x.x; it has to be 192.168.x.x or another private IP subnet block. If you wish to use a separate subnet, leave defaults in DD-WRT, and connect WAN of DD-WRT router to LAN of primary... then configure as a normal gateway router from there.

pmarion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
whoops, sorry, that was a typo. I'll go correct it.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
pmarion wrote:
I read in one of the many threads that were linked that I can also use a different subnet, and would like to leave it as 192.168.1.0/24 since the primary router is 192.168.0.0/24 and there are IP assignments all over the entire range. Do I need to set a static route in IP Forwarding to use 192.168.1.0/24 on the WAP?

Reset your dd-wrt router to defaults, 192.168.1.1, connect it's wan port to lan port of primary router that has 192.168.0.x address. That is all that is required for your setup.

Configure your wireless settings and security, WPA2 PSK 128AES.

Sticky: BCM Best Wifi Settings

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: