Image won't show up as boot option

Sharpshtr338
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:11    Post subject: Image won't show up as boot option Reply with quote
Hi! for the past few days, I have been trying to get a mini pc (Ryzen 5600u) to boot from a 120gb SSD with the dd-wrt x86_64 image on it. I used the full vga image. No matter what I do, the PC will not detect the ssd as a bootable disk. I tried using physdiskwrite, I tried using dd in Manjaro (arch) and also checked to see if the partition was bootable, and it was flagged as bootable. The mini pc's BIOS is set to legacy (I also tried UEFI just for shits and giggles). I have read a few posts on here concerning some similar things, all to no avail. Any ideas would be appreciated, I have exhausted my own.
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
my first thought is that something is not getting detected in the bios correctly...

I would go into the bios and make sure that the disk is detected first... You could also try the boot menu from the bios... Even if the system is not bootable the bios would detect the disk and then provide an error message along the lines of "No bootable system found"... Are you getting to this point? If not I do not think you are having your settings correct.
If you get to that point then we can work on that error.

P.S. The "Full" versions are paid version of DD-WRT, if you have not paid for a license, you will want to use the public version, for example:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/01-25-2023-r51506/x86_64/dd-wrt_x64_public_vga.image
hebeda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
how did you write the image into the ssd ?
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use linux and just dd the image, so as a privileged user:

Code:

dd if=./dd-wrt_x64_public_vga.image of=/dev/sd(XX) status=progress

with (XX) being the drive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: